Old 11-21-2003, 07:48 AM   #11
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
The stakes are incredibly high. He's shooting for a final LOTR film that:
1) ties the three films together;
2) remains faithful to Tolkien's vision;
3) wins the Academy Award for Best Picture; and
4) becomes only the second movie in film history to gross over a billion dollars at the box office.
Wow, it's been a while since I've had to be [Flame Deleted] since he's on my ignore list and has been for over a year I think But people quoting him was just too tempting not to reply to

Using BB's quote above, he's destroyed his own defence / attack - n1. The good thing about this place is the trolls are sub-standard compared to the rest of the internet.

1) Leaving a MAJOR (biggest to date) plot-line unresolved. Also making no reference to the culmination to the biggest event (to date) seems like a great way to tie the films together right?
2) If it wasn't so early in the morning that me laughing wouldn't wake my girlfriend, I'd be doing it out loud. Again, removing a key scene obviously keeps it faithful to the book. Jackson has done enough hacks though that this won't bother him, even though it's pissed off one of the best actors in the film. Having said that, does anyone remember when FotR came out and the casting notes were made public, that Saruman was pencilled in only for the first two films? Obviously at that time PJ thought he'd wrap up TTT properly. Which he didn't.
3) This is for the film studio to decide, not Jackson. It's perfectly conceivable (although highly unlikely in this case) that New Line pushes some other film of theirs for BP and hushes up RotK. Jackson won't have to worry - RotK will win, and if not, his next pic will. The Academy has a long tradition of not awarded BP to the most deserving film, but to whoever 'feels' right to win.
4) Again this is something for NewLine to worry about (it's their marketing / funding behind it). If it doesn't break a billion, I somehow doubt NL and PJ will be crying all the way to the bank...
Anyway, the best way to make a lot of money is to make the best movie you can. Cutting scenes like this (undoubtedly because of PJ's own created sideline 'plots') will NOT help matters.

Personally I think the screenplay writers / adapters have been on one long power trip. They take arguably one of the best and most influential books of all time, and their egos tell them they can improve upon it. Sadly, in this case, their egos massively overreached their abilities.