Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2003, 06:22 PM   #14
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Now you see? This is exactly what I mean when I say there is a double-standard here that says it's OK to do things to other writers work but not to Tolkien. I'm sure Thomas Mallory would have more objections to Excalibur than Tolkien would have to this set of movies. But of course, Mallory is somehow less important than Tolkien. I keep pointing to the fact that there has been NO proper Phillip K. Dick movie. Bladerunner, for instance, and Minority Report are just the most distorted screenplays you'll ever see. By comparison, Jackson is an angel.
No it's not the same - because the movie wasn't dumbed down. I have read the book Mort d'Arthur - and it keeps pretty close to the book. As for the the books - I haven't read those - so I'm just looking at them as movies. if I cared about those books - then I would be complaining - but as has been pointed out - Bladerunner did NOT even use the title of the book - neither did Excalibuir for that matter. Jackson USED the title of the books and CAME OUT and PUBLICLY declared that he was a huge fan of the books and was doing the movie for the fans. That is what pisses me off about Lord of the Rings.

By the way - if what is true about what I have seen on the Prisoner of Azkaban thread and Hemione is wearing lowriders - I WILL have a problem with the movie. Just like I had a problem with the ridiculous Disney The Black Cauldron. Chronicles of Prydain is what got me into reading and I was highly upset by the movie.

If you want me to go over all the movies I think were dumbed down from the books- I will. We're discussing Tolkien - I wasn't aware that I had to list all the movies I have NOT liked where I had read the books.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-17-2003 at 06:28 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote