Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2003, 11:51 AM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Theoden Breaking of the World...and other questions :P

Recently, I've re-read the Return of the King and last night I was flipping through the Appendix and re-read the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen. It came to bring up more questions that I've had in reading Tolkien for years now. First, I've never read the HoME series so I am not sure if it's included in there. I know I don't remember reading this in Unfinished Tales or the other books of Tolkien I've read. Near the end of the tale it is written:

Quote:
From A Part of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen: Appendix A (v)

'"Estel, Estel!" she cried, and with that even as he took her hand and kissed it, he fell into sleep. Then a great beauty was revealed in him, so that all who after came there looked on him in wonder; for they saw the grace of his youth, and the valour of his manhood, and the wisdom and majesty of his age were blended together. And long there he lay, an image of the splendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world."
Now my question is this. Does Tolkien speak further of the breaking of the world? It's pretty easy to assume he is talking about the end of the world of Men and Middle Earth. Also, considering in Appendix A, the title of this is "A Part of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen". Does that mean that it is spoken of in greater length elsewhere?

In addition to all of this, another question arose about Eldarion, Arwen and Aragorn's son. Now, by blood, Eldarion is one of the key people of the Fourth Age. And the reference of his names meaning, 'Descendant of the Eldar', suggests that is of great importance as well. I mean to be such an important character in the history of Men and to not know much about his life stinks! Is there anything written further about him and his heirs as well? I mean judging from the fact that Arwen's and Aragorn's daughters are unnamed kinda puts a damper on the history of the line of Men going into the Fourth Age or even the distinct line of heirs following Eldarion.

Ultimately, all the pieces of the characters we know and love all tie together and show an ending, I was just curious if anyone knew something further about the above things. I know there are references made about Eldarion in HoME, but not much. I don't know of any about the breaking of the world, so any incite is much welcomed
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote