Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2003, 03:16 PM   #11
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Once again, BB, you are baiting people by categorizing and dehumanizing them. When they cease being individuals and are only "literalists", "purists", etc., they will forever be inclined to fight you and disinclined to give your points any consideration.

Once again, JD, you are exagerating and distorting other people's opinions. The only response they could possibly have to that is to try to re-word their opinions, which in the end is merely repetitive and unproductive.

The fact is, BB has re-read the books many times just like the other JRRT fans here. If people were to actually browse the Books forum they would see some very lively discussions which could never take place without a good knowledge of the texts.

And obviosly, PJ has far to much work to do at this moment to waste his time arguing with me. It would be preposterously egotistical to presume that PJ would even consider my opinion. If I were one of the artists whose paintings inspired him, or one of the linguists who has written about Tolkien's invented languages, maybe he would ask my opinion. But since I'm just a fellow reader, I see no reason why he would care what I think.

I don't like the way they handled Theoden's problems because they missed the point, as I stated above.

But they certainly have been more attentive to the original text than they were to any of Phillip K. Dick's novels. And even though we are Tolkien fans here, we have no business saying that Dick is less important and that therefore it is OK to screw up his stuff.

So I can understand why this constant objection to minor changes could bother some people. But IMHO the movies are good.