Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2003, 02:04 PM   #27
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
But , I think you are also incorrect to assume that just because you think PJ&co did a great job that PJ&co are above criticism. If people go to see a movie they can (and often do ) critically look at the movie and see where things could have been improved, where things went wrong or where things went well.
I never said the films are beyond criticism. My personal beef is that for the high quality of the production, it is a shame that the continuity people didn't do their jobs. There are too many glitches for a film of this calibur. My criticism here is reserved for the jerseydevils of the world who tell us the films are horrible and Jackson is a hack and expect us to take them seriously. If you want to defend their nonsense, be my guest.
Quote:
»The films could have stayed within the 3 hour time limit and still stayed closer to the book (this does not mean a literal page by page book to screen adaptation) without having to add extra material not part of the book and does little to add to the story of LOTR.
I am always amused by posters who in one breath say "I wasn't asking for a literal, page by page book to screen adaptation" and in the next breath say "but Jackson shouldn't have added to the story." The comment that PJ's choices "does little to add to the story" is your opinion. Other Tolkienites would respectfully disagree with your assessment.
Quote:
»It would have been nice to keep the characterizations of the characters intact.
Just because the characterizations evidently didn't reflect YOUR interpretations of the story's characters doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way. Most Tolkienites generally feel the characterizations were dead-on.
Quote:
»Although not critical for non-book readers, it would have been nice to keep in mind about the geographic location of places in LOTR when making references to them.
What do you mean "it would have been nice?" It was done. Faramir's review of the map during TTT was intentionally done exactly for this reason.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote