Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2003, 02:10 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Home Schooling

Noticed mention from one or two Mooters about being home schooled. Would like to get opinions from those who are home schooled, or have been - or parents who do it, or have tried it. Interested in your thoughts: pros, cons, general observations, overall conclusions (more positive / more negative), etc.

We have just started our oldest in kindergarten. We THOUGHT ABOUT home schooling quite a bit - but opted for what seemed a good opportunity at a nice public school (in Chicago - believe it or not!).

Would prefer this thread NOT become one where those with no exposure to home schooling - and who don't know anyone involved in it - to put it down based on public perceptions of it. It's an interesting phenomenon - and perhaps 2 million school-age kids are currently home schooled in the US today. The greatest concern from those not involved is the lack of "socialization". However, I've come to know lots of home schooled kids - and that generally doesn't seem to be a problem. Besides, a lot of the social activity at schools these days is pretty anti-social (a coupla threads have spoken to that recently).

On the other hand, if you KNOW someone who has trouble in this area, feel free to share it.

Another great thing I've seen, especially in upper grades, is how efficient it is. Friends with high schoolers in honors classes tell me their kids come home from school and do homework late into the night, every night. I know home schoolers who spend a total of 2 hours per day in junior high and 4 hours per day on high school work - and who vastly outperform their peers. Leaves them a lot more time to work on other areas (even SOCIALIZE!) - and just be kids!

So, home schoolers... take it away...

Last edited by Valandil : 10-15-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote