Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2000, 05:19 PM   #11
Gilthalion

(Ouch. No real need for that, Gwaihir.)

Eruve, I agree that this does not prove Nature over Nurture. But it demonstrates clearly that Nurture cannot entirely overcome Nature. And it demonstrates the general differences. And it demonstrates that people should be free to pursue Happiness, in whatever way they best find.

The Feminist zealots who insist it was somehow wrong for you to teach school don't understand that as you do.

I took piano lessons and learned somthing about playing the instrument. I bought a violin and worked at that a while (I gave it to my girlfriend). I never amounted to much musically, though I pretend to sing, because I did not have an aptitude for it. You ever see The Jerk by Steve Martin? That pathetic white boy, trying to keep rhythm with his adoptive black family, is me! I ain't got music.

If I tried very hard, and worked diligently, I could achieve a technically adequate performance of average proficiency for my level. But I had friends who swiftly took to keyboard and strings as if these were simply lost parts of their bodies that they had found again. Soon, they were effortlessly making better music than I, and if they put the sort of effort into it that I had to, they could do astonishing things that I could barely dream of.

I think that we are all endowed with unique aptitudes and even genius on our own individual grounds. If women naturally tend to have certain characteristics and men others to various degrees, then this is not to say that anyone, for reason of gender, should be held back from being what they want to be to the best of their ability and determination.

To whatever extent civilization (Western) still makes that discrimination, it is our right duty to amend it.

So have we at last laid extreme Feminism to her fitful rest?

There are many wonderful things about Women that I'd much prefer to discuss!

Let me leave this particular argument with the words of Scottish poet Robert Burns (1756-1796)

"The Rights of Woman"

While Europe's eye is fix'd on mighty things,
The fate of empires, and the fall of kings;
While quacks of state must each produce his plan,
And even children lisp the Rights of Man;
Amid this mighty fuss just let me mention,
The Rights of women merit some attention.