Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2000, 02:26 AM   #11
Gilthalion

Re: Well, I've just got to scratch my head!

As a philosophy teacher once admitted to me about his philosophy, "The only absolute is that there are no absolutes."

I still don't get it. That's just not reality. It's not even decent sophistry. But that seems to sum up a great many of the differences in perspective that I am seeing here. If we are that far apart in understanding The Big Picture, I just don't know what to say.

The relativistic perspective is a shifting sand upon which no framework of reasoning can stand. With words, we build the structures of thought which we "inhabit" as we live in reality. With the passing ages, we have built an amazing variety of such structures. Some edifices are enduring. Others are quite temporary. But the basic principles and necessities of such constructs remain the same, though the techniques and materials may change.

Without the principle of absolutes, a relativistic philosophy tends to entropy and chaos when adopted for governance. Look at what the removal of absolutes has done to American public education. (I'm not talking about Prayer. That's another matter. I'm talking about Outcome Based Education and other variations on the theme of discarding absolutes.)

So for me, words in general will retain their meanings. "Up" will remain the opposite of "down" and "feminine" will still describe women. These are good words that adequately describe scientifically verifiable reality. As I mentioned earlier, the burden of proof is on the Feminists to prove their assertion. They haven't ever and they can't. "Relativism," "Feminism," "Humanism," virtually all the "-isms" are matters of faith, a system of believes based upon unknowable presumptions. In the case of Feminism, the presumptions are proven false.

Absolutely!

And please remember I am not defending unfair discriminatory cultural practices in regard to the case for Feminism. I'm talking about biology. An inherently flawed system of beliefs has prevailed in the institutions of Western civilization. To restrain its excesses need not mean returning to the evil days of yore.

This is a little something from my website as inspired by a previous ENTMOOT POST...

[c] Gilthalion On The Feminine Mystique[/c]

"In my VAST and LONG experience with women," the hobbit began, "I have concluded that any of Them, from the simplest country hobbit to the most sophisticated Elvish lady, any of Them can make ME feel like an idiot! On a daily basis!

"They are a Strange Race, some sort of symbiotic creature that is hard to live with, and impossible to live without. They have strange mental powers, unknown to Men (or Hobbits). They can read minds, evidently, for they expect the male to be able to do so as well!"

The little hobbit's mind drifted to a conversation the previous evening...

"What's wrong, Dear," asked Gilthalion, mystified.

"You should KNOW without my having to tell you!" the Mrs snapped.

Gil shook his head as if trying not to nod off. He went on, "This Feminine Mind Power is enhanced with a set of Rings. How well I remember the spell that led me to my present, er, happy condition:

[c] Two Rings to blind them both and in the Chapel bind them.[/c]

"Feminine Telepathy seems to intensify tenfold as they mature, especially with the onset of Children. At this point, the Female Race develops an ability to read thoughts and actions of their posterity from thousands of miles away. This is a Power I call MOMNIPOTENCE," the hobbit intoned.

Suddenly, he sat bolt upright and exclaimed, "Beware the Female! She may be reading your naked thought even now. The Mrs is still asleep, fortunately! I'm only concerned she will awaken and accuse me from a dream! They do that too, you know."

And with that, the little hobbit looked fearfully over his shoulder and would say no more.