Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2001, 11:27 PM   #1
Alixor

Elven/Maian Magic

Ok this is something that has always bugged me. Whenever I think of a Fantasy, the first thing that comes to my mind is "strange things from other worlds and dimension" AND "Magic". See, Magic is always there. Ther fantasies that do not have any magic in them, or supernatural powers of superior beings, are very rare.

Now, in Tolkien's works, magic is very subtle, and a zillion people say that's incredibly cool and what makes JRR Tolkien different from others since the magic "is so subtle it seems real" kind of thing.

My memory fails me many times when it comes to remembering things I've read, yet the main instances in which magic is used are either by Gandalf or Galadriel. Well, Galadriel only with her "magical" mirror. Oviously bearers of the Three use their "magic" to preserve their Elven realms from the ravages of time and make the elves feel very good.

I think the biggest display of magic ever in the Lord of the Rings is when the four hobbits see Lightnings and light flashes on the hill where the Nazgul fight Gandalf.

Now, in the movies however, in order to attract the attentions of those who have not read the LotR, they have much more magic.

For example, the Elves of Lothlorien pull the Fellowship up with magic onto the trees I heard somehwere.

There is a duel or two between Saruman and Gandalf using magic. And gandalf some crazy stuff in the latest trailer with his staff.

Ok, enough of my rambling.

Discuss magic in the Lord of the Rings

I just want to know expecially about Elven magic. I know what Maiar could probably do since they are freakin sub-creators. They helped create Arda after all.

But it is the Elves expecially that I would like to know your thoughts on.

Men see some things done by Elves as magic, yet Elves only see it as natural to them.

Alixor