Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Elves - Aman or Middle Earth?

A point occurred to me as to the wisdom of the Valar's decison to bring the Elves (newly awakened at Cuivienen) to Aman.

We are told that the Valar held a great debate as to what to do with the Elves in the wake of the power of Morgoth still being strong in ME. We are also told that Ulmo was the leader of those who believed that they should be left to their own devises to enrich ME in their own way, according to their abilities.

It seems conceivable to me that the Elves would have faired well enough (as in the case of the Sindar) if they had not travelled to Aman. Granted they would have not gained so much of their power and knowledge if they had not beheld the light of the 2 trees, but we know what happened when they did.

I am of the opinion that Ulmo (being one of the most powerful of the Valar) knew what he was on about when he suggested they should stay in ME. I have to agree with him.

Also, there would have been less of a caste system developing as it did with the Eldar and Avari/Nandor, or a superiority complex (as the way I see it), which further led to strife.

Any thoughts/opinions?