Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2003, 08:06 PM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
Hardly, since I disagree with many people, left and right, about many things. BUT, I do not believe to hold The Truth, nor do I believe that any of us, mortals, do.
So if “you” are a Republican, and deny my positions simply because they are not the same as yours, and believe that by divine intervention, personal genius, or whatever, believe that only “your” position can be valid, well then, “you” are a neocon.
So what is a leftist whiner called in Europe?

Quote:

As long as what he does doesn’t affect us, is strictly your problem, if affects us it becomes our problem. As for what we can do, certainly not vote, but international relations can suffer, something that could be regretful for both of us in the long run. I certainly don’t wish it.
But as I said in previous threads - the President is there solely to represent OUR interests - not the interests of Europe or any other country. As long as we approve of the job he is doing - it doesn't matter. Having bad relations with Europe, except with France and possibly Germany, is a bad thing and not in the best interests of America.

The relationship between France and the US is still very cold - even though they are sending tourist representatives begging Americans to travel there (Chirac should have thought about that before).
Quote:

JD, I believe I already stated that, the only problem is when you have conflicting rights. Then, wanting or not, one of then AS to give way to the other. You opt for one, since you fear that if not the argument of the other could be abused. It is your option, it is valid.

But when confronted with that problem we see it differently, each freedom has to be measured against the other and then the lesser one gives. We opt for more freedom, not less. That is how we see it, it is not your way, fine, what I cannot accept is the absolute validity you seem to be attributing to your position. Me, I’m defending that our is as valid an option as yours, since none of us is omniscient to say otherwise.
I still can't see how you can claim to be free if you can't say what you want or freely demonstrate even if the majority disagrees with you or your opinions are heinous in the eyes of the majority.

You feel that you are free because your speech hasn't been restricted (you seem to be the mainstream of Portugese Politics)- if you were one of the people whose speech is restricted then you would NOT consider yourself free.

I would suggest you watch or read 1984 and Farenheit 451 for information on what happens when the government restricts people's thought and freedoms. Don't think it can't happen either - the Soviets did it (leftists) and the Nazis did it (rightists). It's still going on in China, North Korea and Cuba - all leftist governments.

Freedom of thought and speech is the most important thing - without that - it means someone else is trying to control your mind and thoughts.

I was talking to someone about this and they had come up with somethign I thought about. How would you feel if Ben just decided to make this board only where you could discuss good things about America? If you posted a discenting opinion on America - it automatically got deleted. What would happen then if we could say all these negative things about Europe - but then anything you said to counter it also got deleted? I have a feeling you wouldn't feel very free to express your opinion and you would feel rather descrimated against by the Americans. I bet it would make you more resentful too. But hey - it's an American board - so we could do it. So from now on - let's just hear how great America is and how it's the savior of the world. Then we won't have to take such drastic action and infringe on your free speech.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote