Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2003, 04:16 AM   #11
Blackheart
Elf Lord

"At last... something we agree on"

Well... I'd like to think that a skeptic should resist the idea that something is "rock solid reality" and can never be overturned. If I have a life philosophy it's skepticism, and of course that's exactly when I become boring and stuffy...

"Just read the YEC ideas on the age of the earth. It can be done. Why species aren't being virally saved from extinction (or any of the other mechanisms). The "what if" tag asks suspension of disbelief as a means of avoiding too much analysis. What if the virii just showed up with the perfect DNA and a custom failsafe delivery system? What if pink unicorns stampeded through times square? I guess we would have to think about reality a bit differently... Would the new species be "evolved"? Of course."

Err... what's this YEC? young earth corps?

As for why species aren't saved form extinction virally... one would assume that only pertinant parts of their code are. Whatever parts of their code the viral carriers found "important"...

The "failsafe" delivery system I addressed in the last post (the entire genome is "of course" virally constructed, and therefore suited to insertion by virus and primed for the actual code)

New "viral species" wouldn't actually be "evolved" if they were only there as a "placeholder" while whatever code was being manipulated.... Once the code was sufficiently changed" it would be transmitted again....

oooh... actually theres something that would require a rethinking of mechanism. IF, once the code was succesfully transmited to the next "succesor" species, the preceding placeholder was eliminated by a "kill command" transmitted by the same viral agents....

Such a system doesn't actually demand a consciousness, just cause and effect... But it does presume an awful lot of communication (communication in the stict sense of information propigation, without the need of intent) by some agency, either viral or some other method.

Sure it's unlikely as hell, but it's a hypothetical situation based on the idea that actual evidence "could" be discovered to support it. All you need to disprove the statement that "nothing could ever overturn the ToE, it's rock solid reality" is a single possible case. Whether it's ever discovered or not is of course unknown, but not neccesarily unknowable.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...