Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
I must disagree with that. The only thing that is rock solid reality at this point is nothing. Quite a few people these days aren't even sure there is a reality, I'm sure I'm not. Too many things exist that disprove reality as we would like to know it. The world being one of them. Yes we can see, feel, hear, smell, taste and even believe in the world but if we try hard enough we can experience equal sensory belief in other worlds and therefore other possible realities.

Furthermore, the very complexity of this question of reality supports the idea that we were created. An incomprehensible being could easily create an incomprehensible set of possibilities, any one of which could become a reality of sorts to concious life forms as long as those lifeforms posessed the ability and the will to believe in that reality. This theory though opens the door for the question:
If our reality is shaped by our beliefs then is it not possible that creationism used to be true because more people believed in it and now that more people are believing in evolution creationism has become less true and evolutionism more so?
That, in fact, the nature of the world is shaped by what its inhabitants believe about it?
ok how many times have you seen the matrix? i think youve gone off the philosophical deep end on this which is cool but not at all necessary. it doesnt matter if the universe is an illusion that we will never be able to pierce. what we are talking about is does evolution happen. and it does. its the way things are done as far as our perception is concerned. the pieces are there. the evidence is there. the mechanisms are there. and we can play with them ourselves just to see how it all works. discounting evolution because the reality of existance is incomprehensible is nonsensical. see what youll have to do is first prove to me that YOU dont exist then we can talk about if evolution is an illusion.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."