Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2003, 11:56 AM   #11
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
GrayMouser - (drat! I keep spelling it "grey" - is that an American vs. British thing?)
Well, the AmE version is gray, Americans being somewhat more sensible about spelling our ridiculous language.

After fifteen years of teaching "American" I have adapted to using AmE spelling; though I note that, in my clashes on politics with JD I (quite unconsciously) reverted back to BrE

However, since my name comes from my favorite fantasy hero (small, fast, smart, slightly kinky) created by (American) Fritz Leiber, the Gray sp. is correct

Quote:
IMO, saying macro is just "more" micro is like saying: "I can observe my hair changing from brown to gray (micro evolution), and look, I can even use hair coloring stuff to change it to magenta! (micro evolution with scientific intervention)- so therefore I think given lots of time, my hair will change into arms (macro evolution)." Iimproper extrapolation, because arms represent a gain in information, not just a change of already-present features or a mutation keeping things on the same level (ie, hair is still hair).
You're confusing change with evolution. Neither this example (sadly occurring in me too) nor the typing has anything to do with it , anymore than a tree shedding it's leaves does.

As has been pointed out, over and over, evolution is the accumulation of change over generations.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote