Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Self-Hate

I've heard that the traits that humans dislike/are repelled by in other people, are often characteristics that they detest in themselves.

Now I'm guessing that this would be on a sub-conscious level, because I, at least, don't actively think 'Oh, wow, she's really arrogant, just like me. I don't like that about her.' (Or something)

So if this theory may be true (I wouldn't know), does this ever happen on a conscious level? (Perhaps not like the aforesaid example, but you get my drift)

I think that this theory is true to an extent. Certainly, some things that repel me in other people, I realise that I dislike in myself, such as perhaps my selfishness. Other times, I know I don't have some qualities that I detest, which I can find in other people.

I'm also fascinated by Hitler's alleged self-hatred. Presently, I can't recall many very good examples of this, but as soon as I do, I will. Wasn't his obsession with the domination of the Aryan race example of this, considering he wouldn't even be regarded as one [an Aryan]?
And what of his Jewish lineage- does his Anti-Semitism fanaticism indicate his self-hatred also?

What are your thoughts? Could someone who knows more about psychology shed some light onto this? This subject has been interesting me a great deal lately, and I'd just like to know.
Comments would be appreciated.

(PS: If I'm getting any facts wrong or whatever, please let me know. I don't know that much about either of these)

Last edited by Linaewen : 06-26-2003 at 06:49 AM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote