Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2003, 01:25 PM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
Canadians are not the 51st state. We are larger that America, with a smaller population, therefore giving us more room for expansion,
When you move into the 99% of Canada that is a barren ice covered wasteland - let me know. Look at a map of where your towns and cities end.
Quote:

more room for the natives to live in their original way (The Americans have simply annexed their natives),
Maybe you should look at the history of how Indians were treated by Canada. My friend lives on Six Nation Indian reserve - when her grandfather was a child they used to get beat if they smoke Mokawk or anything - and his school was on the reserve.
Quote:

and more resources yet untapped.
Yeah - if there is ever a need for tundra.

Quote:

Canadians do not have accents. (well, ok, Ontarians don't, Frenchy's and Newfies do. )
Been to Ontario many many times - they do have an accent. It's similar to Hazleton Pennsylvania where my cousins live and I used to go when I was younger.
Quote:

The Canadians always get involved in peacekeeping missions. Sice I believe 1965, Canada has taken part in every single UN peacekeping operation. Not to mention our war deeds.
And it's our military equipment and money that goes to support them.
Quote:

I might add that, while in WWI we entered the war automatically with the Brits, we entered a week after them in WWII, because they're our allies.
Really because you were owned by Britain and you had to support them for that reason - no matter what Canadians may want to think today.
Quote:

Most Canadians do not say aboot, we do say eh. But we also actually say "you're welcome" when someone thanks us.
Been to Canada many many times - I've heard a lot of people say aboot. We also say "You're welcome". Just to let you know - the first time I walked into a store in canada - I was made fun of for being an American by the checkout person. Don't fool yourself thinking Canada is more polite than America.
Quote:

Canadians are also the first nation of Lacrosse.
Sorry - Lacrosse is an Indian game - the settlers picked it up from the natives. It's a North American game - and it is very popular in NJ - we have to pro teams - New Jersey Pride and the New Jersey Storm
Quote:

We have never asked to be the best at Football, we know the Americans hold this. But we have every right to have our own league.
Isn't that a bit much to ask for your own league? You can't even keep professional teams in your country for your own sport of hockey.

Quote:

We may not hold our hands on our hearts when we sing Oh, Canada, we we are patriotic, because when we sing it...it almost brigs tears to my eyes thinking about it.
The Star Spangled Banner does for me too - so I don't know what your point is here. And we don't necessarily put our hand over our hearts when we sing it.
Quote:

Yes, Canadians have lots of American things, but the Americans have many British things as well.
"American Idol", and Simon, both originted from "Pop Idol" in Britain, as did "Whose Line is it Anyways", and "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". (BTW I always knew Ruben would win)
Wow - and all those things I think suck. Never watched "Who Want to be a Millionaire" - except once or twice. Never watched "American Idol" nor "Whose Line is it Anyways". Of course you left out the worst Britist import which is "Weakest Link". I don't know how that woman made it into our country - but I hope now that her show failed that she's back over in Britain with her rudeness.
Quote:

Also, personally, I quite like Americans. although they look at yo funny if you apologize for bumping into someone in NYC or Chicago. (know from personal experience )
That's not necessarily true - even in NY. Although if you walk on the streets of NY - it's a little difficult NOT to bump into anyone. Did it take you an hour to go a block with all the apologising you would have done - or did you finally see why it didn't really matter too much? It would have been easier if you just wore a sign - "Sorry for bumping into you".

As for immigration and so forth - we are a far more diversified country than Canada. Toronto is the only city/town where I saw that they have a large ethnic population. I live in a relatively small town and if you walk down the street you will see all different ethnicities and what is really great - is that when you go passed the park - they're all playing basketball and other games together.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote