Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2003, 06:30 AM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Anglorfin - your uncle is either wrong or you misunderstood him about political parties. First of all - you don't have to declare a politcal party at all. Second - you change political parties anytime you like (Ronald Reagan had been a Democrat). Third you can freely give your money to anyone you please - even if you do register a party.

As for requiring a test to vote - I disagree. It goes against the Constitution. it would also be very devisive. There are idiots all over the place - we can't have tests for everything. You can't legislate against people's ignorance.

Also AE - when I heard your idea I pictured Space Troopers. In the movie the only TRUE citizens and people who could vote were people who serve in the military.

I agree that there are people who have no concept of the issues - and people who vote who have no understanding of how our government works (checks and balances, what congress is and what is it's function, what the role of the Supreme Court is, or what the role of the President is, many people don't even know how a law is passed) - but that is a problem with the schools. The lack of people's understanding of the way elections work was made very clear in the 2000 election - "Electorial college, what the hell is that? You mean I don't vote DIRECTLY for the president? But he won the popular vote." Suggestion - read the Constituion - it's not too hard to understand. People would also then understand that the Constitution does allow for the Supreme court to handle that screwy election - but sadly - very few people understand the Constitution - or even know what is in there. The only thing most people know are a couple of Bills of Rights (which are the first 10 amendements, which the states required in order for them to approve the Constitution). Anyone who can comprehend the Silmarillian or even Lord of the Rings - can comprehend the Constitution - which isn't even that long.

I guess we'll see if the country learned anything about the way the election process works come 2004.

New Jersey was actually the first state to allow free blacks and women to vote in the US. They were able to vote from 1776 - 1807 when it was restricted. Basically the first New Jersey Constitution only specified land owners - and women and free blacks were land owners in NJ - so they automatically got to vote.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote