Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2003, 05:05 AM   #19
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I haven't been following this thread much, so perhaps i'm repeting something already said. I agree that Mandos would never release Feanor till the end of time; but he will release him at the end of all things.

I think that almost all of the prophecy of Mandos has to be considered rejected by Tolkien. What he never rejected AFAIK is the vague idea that there would be a new life also for elves after Arda had dissapeared. In that life all elves -those who never had died, those who had been released by Mandos and those who never had been released by Mandos- would live again, but surely in a new way because their hroa couldn't be the same after Arda had passed.

Quote:
But not until the End, when Feanor shall return who perished when the Sun was young and sitteth now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more amongst his kin; not until Sun passeth and the Moon falls shall it be known of what substance they were made.
This is all i have found to support the idea that Feanor would return to life. It is from the Annals of Aman, so it's nearer to Tolkien's "last conception" than the prophecy of Quenta Noldorinwa.