Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2000, 09:16 PM   #1
IronParrot

Quebec

Okay, like I said (or tried to say, with my poor français) in the "annoying language" thread, I think I'll start a thread about the issue of Quebec separation, in English so it's easier for me to communicate my ideas...

There are obviously positives and negatives to consider with separation. Some of the current major barriers between Canada and Quebec:

- Language. Duh... the rest of Canada IS English-dominated, and especially here in the West where I live, Francophones are such a minority that they aren't even the "second-place" demographic - I'm not sure about the stats but I think in Calgary, where I live, French is actually the third-most-used language in the household behind English and Chinese, I believe it is. I'm pretty sure this is similar in Vancouver as well.

- Culture and tradition. Obviously, language is tied into this... I'm not too knowledgeable on this aspect so you guys will have to fill me in.

- Past history. Yes, technically Quebec was a "prize territory" won by the English in war... I'm also aware of how in the First World War, the French living in Quebec were basically forced to fight for the English when mandatory enlistment was laid down, or so I'm aware.

However, one thing though, Quebeckers. A good deal of the rest of Canada does care about you as a whole even though we may not necessarily understand you. It is that lack of understanding which leads to the government proposing policy after policy, bill after bill, everything that it's trying completely flopping out.

And we STILL haven't gotten you to sign the Constitution.

Cons:

- The "minority within a minority" - the Anglos living in Quebec. This is beginning to seem like a "Russian egg" scenario, where if Quebec separates because it's the minority in all of Canada, then you have all the Anglophones in Quebec becoming the distressed minority. I am especially referring to English-speaking students at institutes such as McGill that originate from all over the country, especially here in the West where if you want to go to a big-name university, you either go east or you go to the States.

- On the same token, you have the Francophones that live in English-dominated Canada.

- The idea that if Quebec separates, Canada is only willing to give up the land of the former "Lower Canada" which Quebec started with, and not all the territory at the North, not only because of the land but also because of the Natives there that wish to remain a part of Canada. However, it's obvious Quebec will never accept this since the provincial economy will be totally crippled without hydro power around.

- The Maritime provinces are simply dead if Quebec is around cutting them off territorially from the rest of Canada. They already have the huge unemployment problem due to fishing... and now transportation of goods from the rest of Canada is cut off, they basically have to rely on the north-east United States and shipping from Europe through Halifax. In the end, it's more likely they'll become part of the United States.

- Am I the only one who's noticed that the vast majority of Canadian prime ministers this past century were from Quebec?

And by the way, us here in the West do share a lot in common with you in Quebec - as in, we think Ontario has way too much consolidated power... and if Quebec leaves, then the democracy is basically finished, because the federal government will revolve entirely around political party popularity in Ontario alone.

Hmm... I'd like to hear some feedback before I continue...