Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2000, 06:38 PM   #1
Gilthalion

It Takes A Shire!

In response to Shanamir's environmental lament on the US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION thread, and as a matter that I've often thought about, I would like to open the following topic.

I have a feeling that many of you may have also engaged in this line of thought, and it seemed that we might have a nice long discussion.

I've also wearied of the onslaught of heavy subjects lately.

So here goes:

HOW DOES ONE BUILD AND MAINTAIN A HOBBIT HOMESTEAD/SETTLEMENT?

In this age of Mordor-like, cancerous development of strip malls and parking lots, is it practical or desirable for individuals to seek the simple life of the Shire?

And what do we know of that lifestyle? It was closer to Nature, but still cheerful and comfortable and prosperous. Can such a pastoral, agrarian lifestyle be adapted in this Age? How?

Some of you may have quotes from Professor Tolkien, himself, on these matters. Others may have helpful (if not entertaining!), speculations about construction techniques and country living. You may know something of the Urban Agriculture movement and how it may apply. Others may be able to speak about the macro-economics of such a society.

Naturally, I have a lot of my own ideas on the subject, and have done a little research through the years. I would like to start pulling it together with your help!

Start digging!

(And with that, the little hobbit took another sip of iced tea and thought ice was nice, and of how he would hate to do without it in the Southfarthing summers...)

P.S.
You can check out some ideas on my old abandoned website POOR ROBERT'S ALMANAC (past due for renovation!) accessible from the link in my signature. Look for RESOURCES FOR THE POOR and for MY GARDEN JOURNAL. The former is a collection of links for Sustainable Living and Permaculture. The latter is my proposal for a type of self-sufficient micro-farm that one could maintain on a mid-sized city backyard.