Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2003, 02:56 PM   #1
Elf Girl
Lurker

Gollum Debate

This is carried over from the "Who are you in ME?" thread, where PsychoKitty seemed to think that Gollum lead a happy, contented life, and also that he was right to take the Ring from Déagol. This is where we can debate that! *maniacal laughter* Excuse me. I love debate.

Quote:
Originally posted by Psycho Kitty
He WAS right to take the ring! Just think if he had given it to the village elder or something then it most likely would have caused much worse trouble because it would have wound up in the hands of someone powerful enough to make a mess of things.
But the Ring was not his. Déagol found it, it was for Déagol to decide what to do with it. All the laws of honesty support me.

Quote:
You would have had murder after murder and tribes battling against tribes and eventually mass war and certainly by then evil forces would have been focusing on the ring because it would have become obvious the one ring had been found. it would make a mess of things.
I doubt it. Déagol was a primitive little Stoor, do you think he would even have the strength to turn it in to anyone else? He would almost certainly have kept it for himself, eventually becoming like Gollum, though probably not quite as twisted.

Quote:
so how can you fault him for taking this burdon himself and hiding it away where it couldnt cause all this mess. he did everyone a favor! thats why hes a hero.
He might be if he had 'hidden it away' for good purposes. But we know the Ring had corrupted him at that point. He desired only to possess it and keep it safe. ('Safe' meaning belonging to him.)

Quote:
and who cares about Déagol. I would kill him too. along with nasty elves.....<evil smilie>
So Gollum was right to murder his best friend?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote