Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2003, 06:52 PM   #11
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Maggott
Jackson couldn't have gotten it any "wronger". He has Aragorn knowingly and willingly permitting Frodo to go off alone.
I would have never guessed it, Mrs. Maggot, but it has become clear that you have a deep-seated PREJUDICE against halflings!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm teasing but think about it. If you take your previous post and replace Frodo with Aragorn and Aragorn with...let's say Gandalf, do you feel the same way? If Aragorn was the Ringbearer and men were able to resist the ring's evil easier than hobbits, dwarves, and elves, would you have expressed the same level of protest if Gandalf gave Aragorn "his blessing" to go on alone?

I can hear some of you say, "yes, but Aragorn is a warrior...he knows the landscape...he's better able to protect himself" and on and on and on. Well, it was made clear in the Council of Elrond that the ring wouldn't be destroyed by force but by stealth. Hobbits are smaller and, as Tolkien described, are able to hide from the big people when they don't want to be seen.

In my humble opinion, Tolkien played upon our natural reaction to the small and the meek when he had the breaking of the fellowship play out the way it did. So did Jackson.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote