Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #11
Mrs. Maggott
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer

Correction: Merry and Pippin's "reality check" came when they looked into Boromir's eyes as he knelt dying in front of them with arrows sticking out of him. It was a legitimate turning point for both of them.

Please don't view my corrections as a sign that I've become...gasp...a nit-picker!!! I don't want to go down the path to the Dark-Purist-Side!!!
M&P never "look into Boromir's eyes"; they have already been caught by Saruman's orcs while Boromir still lives and are long gone by the time Aragorn shows up to keep "Lurtz" (another of Jackson's needless inventions) from finishing off Denethor's elder son. Certainly, that scenario goes a long way toward maturing the two young hobbits - as it did in the book as well!

I would have to look again at the EE of FOTR to see if you are correct in the former, but he certainly does call him "Mister" Frodo, which is hardly the sort of thing that one does with a contemporary. Since Frodo is not 50 years old (as he was in the book) but is in fact about Sam's age, why should Sam call him "Mister", even if he never called him "Master"? Remember, neither Merry or Pippin call Frodo "Mister", so that means that Sam has a very different relationship with Frodo. Oh, and by the way, you do not address Sam's being under the window in the middle of the night! If you are going to address one point, it would be wise to address them all! Frankly, there is no real establishment of these inter-relationships in the films which seriously affects the story - and not for the better.