Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2000, 12:37 PM   #11
SarahStar

Re: Salli Canaliya, I must beg to differ.

<<M-TV released a poll yesterday indicating that 25% of viewers between the ages of 18 and 25 could not name the Republican and Democratic candidates for the Presidency.>>

That doesn't really cause any harm, because a lot more than 25% of them don't vote, either. Those who are informated enough to want to vote do so, and those who clueless don't.

<<"almost certainly"? Not in my experience. I was (and still am) a Reform supporter from a very early age, whereas my parents were Liberal supporters (and still are, to my knowledge).>>

But did you really understand the issues then? You may have been precocious, but most children would either a) vote for whoever their parents told them to vote for or b) vote for the exact opposite.

<<So, in light of all this, why must a testing system be corruption-proof, if the system it would serve is not? >>

I would suggest that our governemnt, while certainly not entirely corruption-proof, is at least able to function if everyone involved in it is corrupt. It is set up in such a way that it is in politicians' best interests to serve the public and to point on the wrongdoings of their opponents, since these are the best ways to get elected.

Even if the current system is not perfect, that is still not an excuse to create a corrupt testing system!