Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

The Hussein Family.

Okay, this is a thread that I personally am interested in. I have heard many tales about Udai Hussein, Saddam's son.

Okay- so supply information about the deeds of any Hussein member, and discuss whether they are crazy as hell. Or not *scoff*.

My first tid-bit.

Udai Hussein
Quote:
Udai Saddam Hussein, Saddam's eldest son and now 33, first became known abroad in 1988 in a scandal that was to lay a marker for things to come.

Udai had taken against Saddam's personal valet Kamal Hana Gegeo because of his role in acting as a go-between for Saddam's external affairs. In particular, Saddam had an affair with the daughter of an old Baghdad family called Samira Shahbander - who was eventually to become his second wife - and Udai was said to have been afraid that this union could threaten his own position as Saddam's eldest son by his first wife Sajida.

So Udai decided to take his revenge on Gegeo. Aged 24, he gatecrashed an official party held in honour of Suzanne Mubarak, the wife of the Egyptian president, who was visiting Baghdad. Pushing aside the official host Taha Muhieddin Maaruf - Iraq's Vice President and a generation older than himself in a culture where such things matter deeply - Udai and his bodyguards beat Gegeo to death with a heavy club in full view of the gathered guests.

The affair became a national scandal when Saddam put his son on trial for the murder, saying that even the president's son must face justice. Gegeo's family pleaded for a pardon for Udai, saying that he had been provoked beyond all endurance. Just the slightest bit of pressure, perhaps? There were all kinds of 'spontaneous' demonstrations for Udai and eventually Saddam was satisfied with exiling him to Switzerland.

He returned a year later to become head of the Iraqi Olympic Federation. He also runs a major television network in Iraq and a newspaper and is said to have an extensive business network.

That much is known because that particular drama was acted out in public. There are all kinds of other stories of Udai picking any woman that took his fancy and killing their husbands or menfolk and mind-boggling tales of corruption which will probably never be proved or disproved definitively.
Discuss-

Note to Mod/Admin: This is not a sorry attempt at another Iraq thread. This is a legitimate interest of mine, personally. Don't shut me down. !