Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2003, 02:28 AM   #11
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Funny joke, Gwaimir, and sadly all too true for some churches...

I just read thru the thread and I'll throw in my 2 cents here on a couple of issues -

Re the Bible version - The NIV (New International Version) is pretty much the standard in the non-denominational Christian churches that I've been to. Since language changes as time goes by, it made sense to update the translations. (Even Tolkien's imaginary languages like Sindarin and Quenya evolved, which is part of what makes them feel so authentic. As you read more of the History of Middle Earth stuff, you'll be amazed at the language details and things like 'the p sound shifted to a dh in the Sindarin language, while changing to a tp in Quenya") (made-up example, but there's lots of stuff like that.)

To the best of my knowledge, all Protestent churches do Communion, but how often they do it varies. I imagine some uber-liberal (as TC said ) churches may have dropped it, though. Our church has been having it available at every service starting about 6 months ago - the idea is to come a little early to prepare your heart for worship and teaching, so we just go up and get the little bread wafer and the little cup of juice by ourselves, then sit quietly in our seats and pray and take it when we feel ready. I like doing it that way. We also have some 'official' communions, too, where we pass the bread and cup thru the aisles and take it all together.

Can't you take any language courses, Gwaimir? I would think you'd like to, if you're living somewhere for awhile.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote