Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2003, 10:40 PM   #1
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

How do the battle scenes stack up against Braveheart?

I just watched Braveheart for the first time this week. I was a little apprehensive because I was afraid it would blow away the battles in FOTR and TTT.

Thankfully this is not the case in my opinion. Braveheart was allowed a little more graphic type scenes, but they really were not much more gruesome than FOTR and TTT. A great feat considering they were restrained by a PG-13 rating.

One thing that did really stand out though, is that the use of pikes in Braveheart was very realistic. That showed the glaring weakness in the TTT Helms Deep scenes. The charge of Gandalf and that of Aragorn and Theoden from the entrance of Helms Deep seem quite unrealistic in comparison. It would have been nice to see a few horses taken down and riders thrown from their mounts in those scenes.

All in all, I think FOTR and TTT are outstanding. It is fantasy, so you have to ready to believe some fantastic things possible.