Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2003, 04:27 AM   #11
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

"For some or other reason, I wasn't able to post any replies at home last night. Anyway, I wanted to advise caution against such a move. Have you personally examined these alleged contradictions? Have you investigated the viewpoints of various apologists? These are necessary -- as a minimum, in my opinion -- before making such a claim."

im not sure what your saying.

the problem that i see with gods "guidelines on slavery" is that it implies that slavery is acceptable. here are a few of the quotes that questions gods love, judgement and righteousness.

4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.

whats wrong with that? im sure women dont mind.

7 And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.

what could possibly be wrong with selling your daughter ?

16 And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

wouldnt that constitute slavery? so if you steal a man into slavery, because im sure no one goes willingly, then you should be put to death? if thats the case then why regulate slavery?

23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

thou shault not kill is one of the commandments, mentioned just moments before verse 21.

the only way that i can read the bible is literally. if i choose another method of interpretation then i would invite the possibility of an ambiguous translation. i dont believe that god would be ambiguous when it comes to his word, of course that is just my assumption. when i was a practicing christian i was told that the word of god(the bible) was beyond reproach.. i really have problems with the slavery issues addressed in exodus and leviticus. i dont think that slavery was acceptable at that time or at any time in the history of mankind, and a diety that justifies slavery with regulations is not my idea of a just god, a god that promotes free will. this is why have serious doubts about the validity of christianity through the teachings of the bible.

thank you for your time