Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2003, 01:15 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

2002 films (end-of-year lists/awards madness)

Well, it's that time of the year again... you've seen the media's picks, the critical picks, the ignorant-masses' picks - now let's hear what you thought of the past year in film.

I might as well throw my Top 10 in the fray. These are sorted alphabetically... I could rank them, sure, but I already tried that - and two of the entries had a very, very hard time fitting into any spot there. I regard each of these entries as examples of superb filmmaking.

So... IronParrot's Top 10 Films of 2002
(keeping in mind he hasn't seen About Schmidt, Spirited Away, The Pianist, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Talk To Her and countless other films)

Adaptation - Provocatively witty, marvelous in the cleverness of its structure; the definitive film for the aspiring screenwriter.

Attack of the Clones - (First of the hard-to-fit films.) Very densely plotted with a great sense of all the loose threads in the Star Wars saga; George Lucas continues to refine a style so distinctive, others only continue to flatter it with cheap imitation. It excited me from end to end.

Bowling For Columbine - A masterwork of a persuasive documentary, entertaining one minute and chilling the next; both hilarious and powerful as an exposé of America's gun culture.

Catch Me If You Can - A lovable comedy that proves Spielberg is a genre master - of any genre. And when I say DiCaprio is a darn good actor, now I can back it up.

Chicago - Razzle-dazzling tunes from its Broadway source combined with its stylishly ingenious incorporation of stage and film make it an adorable piece to be watched again and again as years wear on.

Far From Heaven - Darkly satirical of 1950s morality on one level, yet a qualifiable tearjerker at another, it's a beautiful exercise in both style and substance.

Minority Report - One of the greatest sci-fi thrillers of all time; a capsule summary doesn't do justice to its majesty as one of film's true masterpieces. It's absolutely atrocious that this movie has been virtually forgotten in the awards race.

Punch-Drunk Love - A movie that understands love - and if that weren't compliment enough, it also puts Adam Sandler into the shoes of a real character with whom we empathize. It made me smile.

Road To Perdition - A thrilling genre piece, superbly acted, commendably written, and directed with an exquisite flair for detail. Great story, great characters (including one of the great film henchvillains in Jude Law's Maguire) and overall, a great film.

The Two Towers - Insert unreadably long essay of glowing praise here.

Okay... if I had to pick one... it would be The Two Towers. I seriously wouldn't mind if the big awards got piled on Chicago this year, though, or (though it won't happen) Minority Report, as long as next year, The Return of the King sweeps everything as sort of representative of the whole film of The Lord of the Rings.

More 2002 summary crud coming soon. Someday.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote