Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #11
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

The thread title was meant to be provocative. I am tired of reading post after post bashing Peter Jackson and his talented team of artists. The bashing has been as mindless and juvenile as the stupid name-calling that's made up most of the posts here.

Thanks to PJ, we are getting THE BEST ADAPTION of the Lord of the Rings one could have ever hoped for or will ever get. For you Book Purists out there, the hard reality is that if a completely faithful adaption of the story was ever created, it would be a major boxoffice disaster. It took someone like Peter Jackson who: A) understood Tolkien better than anyone here; B) understood the art of making movies and how to write effective screenplays; and C) had a stamina and the passion for the process, to make this thing work, and work beautifully.

There are many of you who claim that the deviations from the books have "ruined" the movies. I believe quite strong that the opposite is the case. The "deviations" from the source material have strengthened the story and enhanced this modern mythology we call Lord of the Rings. If any of you are interested in any intelligent conversation about this, I'm game.