Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2003, 12:43 PM   #11
LovesBeren
Sapling

Not Really Looking... Since You Asked

I only saw one thing that bothered me... just for an instant in the editing. It was when Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gmili are walking towards Theoden Gandalf's staff is lowered in almost every angle except the one from behind them (the first time?). I am sure there's a few more editing glitches... but given that they spend several days filming these very complex scenes, it's amazing that they can get all of the editing done well.

I do wish they would have first shown the scene with Aragon with his head to the ground tracking the Uruk-Hai before we saw Merry and Pippin. It was confusing to my husband who has never read the book.

But, as complex as the Tolkien's work is it's hard make everything pure and still move the story along in a movie. As far as following the books PJ did try to adhere when he felt he could... as loose as the TTT movie was, it did move the storyline along by the end... well almost to the end of TTT book and a few great big RotK lines said by other characters that move the story along better on screen (i.e. Grima saying a few of Gandalf's lines from RotK to Eowyn, and Aragorn and Eowyn's interaction on "A cage")... I can't wait to see Eowyn in the RotK. Who says Tolkien had a purely masculine perspective...she's truly a mover and shaker of her time... ;-)
Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
Did anybody notice the cut above Merry's eye? It was there during the battle scene but when they ran into Fangorn and met Treebeard there wasn't a sign of it anywhere. Not a scar or blood or anything.
Cheers,
Sam
Although we didn't see them drink from the Entwash or have a drink of Treebeard's draughts, we can assume the wounds healed themselves just like the book...

But another post stated by squinteyedsoutherner...

Quote:
Another mistake, I believe, is that Faramir is wearing the livery of the heirs of Elendil (the white tree, stars and crorwn). RoTK says that "and none wore it now in all of Gondor save the guards of the Citadel before the court of the fountain where the white tree had grown" Watch Faramir in Osgiliath, he's definitely wearing it.
...and if remember right... it was against their law to do so... but it is beautiful and perhaps it does give us a glimpse of the white tree and 7 stars before the next movie which in my opinion was very confusing the first time I read the book. I didn't know the significance of it.

Wondering why PJ decided to do with the Tolkien's work I think is okay, but I do think we have to be careful to criticize at least until RotK movie... :-)
LovesBeren is offline   Reply With Quote