Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2002, 12:26 PM   #1
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
The Lady of the Rings; also known as the Soul of Night.

Heya guys. I started this for the heck of it; please join if you feel like it. There's plenty of character ops.

Fëalómë was a jeweler who spent more time than she ever would have thought possible with her metalwork. She was nobody to anybody else, and lonely. Days and nights were spent stringing beads onto filigree designs, polishing, cutting silver, gold, copper, brass. Whatever. It didn’t matter to her what she made.
The money involved in her trade wasn’t important. She had money enough; she needed no more. But she couldn’t keep the jewelry she made. She didn’t want it. None of it contained the soul she felt in the metal. Pretty yes, pretty enough to sell and be famous for design and craft, she thought bitterly. But not beautiful. I will never be able to perfect the metal.
But once Fëalómë had almost found the beauty she was looking for in the metal’s soul. A ring, silver twined with threads of gold. As it came to life beneath her hands, she thought that almost, just almost, it was perfect. But not really. Just almost. She had put it away in a drawer, left locked away but never really forgotten. The images of rings came to her in dreams.
She made rings, the designs of her dreams, and incorporated them into nearly every piece she finished. Somehow. The vague shadow of a circle was her trade’s mark. Only a few people noticed this; Fëalómë didn’t care.
And then one day. She was showing the metal no mercy, and she took her loneliness out on her work. A plain gold band came to life in her hands. Not almost as before; but truly what she wanted. She didn’t understand. But something about this simple ring was beautiful like she had never felt before. And it frightened her a little.
As Fëalómë polished it for the final time, and held it finished to the light, something stirred. The shadows of the rings on the jewelry she had made and sold all around the world awakened to a flash of brilliance, then faded from sight -- yet they remained alert. Waiting.
Man ná vanwië entuluva. What is past shall come again. I fëa lómëo cuiva. The soul of night awakes. Minë corma ná lá vanwa mÃ* lumë. The one ring is not lost in time. Nás entamin. It is forged again.
On the other side of the world a girl woke from her sleep, the necklace she wore burning her skin.
And even further away a mountain long dormant burst into flame.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote