FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2002, 02:32 AM   #11
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
This second time of seeing the movie - the film broke at the entmoot scene. The theater started the movie back up within 5 - 10 minutes - but they gave everyone free passes.
What? You got free passes? We were just about to finish the 'exorcism' scene (you know the part where Gandalf points his staff and Saruman is thrown backwards) when the reel froze. We waited for a moment, then realized that that wasn't supposed to happen. While the movie people rushed to shut it off, the frame started getting red and orange spots on it and began to melt. We had to wait 15 minutes for them to splice off that 3-4 seconds. And no free passes. Oh well, it was good for a laugh anyway.

Moving on to the movie itself - generally very good. There were points where I asked myself "Why?", but the good definitely outweighed the bad. People have already pointed out most of the good, so I'll give my takes on the bad.

The Bad:
Theoden's 'exorcism': What was that? He looked like something out of The Evil Dead and I half-expected his head to start spinning around and spitting green pea soup at any moment. I think the scene would have been better if he had just been slumped and maybe slightly 'drugged'. Then it would have been cool to have Gandalf and Wormtongue engage in a battle of words over Theoden.

Faramir (most of the time): Why couldn't he have just had his little change of heart at Henneth Annûn? It would be so much better than taking Frodo and Sam all the way to Osgiliath. (Why didn't PJ just ask me? ) Oh and what was the line from the first movie, "They [the Nazgûl] will never stop hunting for it." The Nazgûl on his steed sure didn't make much of an effort with the Ring right there in front of him.

Aragorn's 'death': What's the point? He doesn't even make a triumphant return at a critical moment. Like someone already said (sorry I don't remember who) - one time is enough to pull that trick.

Some special effects: Particularly the ones with Merry and Pippin on Treebeard. With all that technology at their disposal, I think that they could have made that look better.

As much as it sounds like I'm complaining, I actually really liked this movie. I'll definitely be going back.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote