Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2002, 08:53 PM   #1
Churl
Elven Warrior

Extended edition commentary

Hello all ... it's been a long time since my last post. I've checked in frequently, but I never got around to posting; I'm sorry for that.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing people's observations on the various audio commentaries (and the appendices) included with the extended edition of the Fellowship film.

There's so much interesting stuff there, and all of it gives greater appreciation for the sheer volume of work that went on — and is still going on — behind the scenes of the trilogy.

Here's just one great moment:

*** DIRECTOR'S COMMENTARY SPOILER ***

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens reveal that Peter didn't like the original sound of the Ringwraiths' wail. Eventually, Fran Walsh's screams were substituted to form the "raw material" for the movie's Nazgul shrieks. As she describes her day of screaming into the microphones, she jokes about her motivation … something along these lines: "I imagined Peter telling me that he'd just acquired the film rights to The Silmarillion."

I got a good laugh from that.

One more thing, from the cast commentary … when you stand in line for The Two Towers, you'll recognize the truly obsessed fans: they'll be the ones playing "Tig."

P.S. Moderators — if you think that this post should be moved to an existing thread, no problem. I just thought that since it deals with the commentaries and supplemental material specifically, I'd start a new thread. But again, it's your call.

Last edited by Churl : 12-16-2002 at 09:18 PM.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote