Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2002, 12:58 PM   #1
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

If you were Saruman, would you have come down from Orthanc?

After the battle of Helm's Deep and the destruction of Isengard, Gandalf offered Saruman a chance to come down and help them. Saruman refused.

What would you have done, if you were in Saruman's place?

In a discussion about Denethor in the Middle-earth Forum, Afro-Elf got me thinking about how JRRT "boxed in" his characters -- that's one of the primary things a writer has to do with characters, of course: leave them only one inevitable course of action, even if it's an unpleasant or negative one.

On thinking this over in terms of Saruman's choice, what with Isengard in ruins and the Ents installed on his grounds, his armies beaten, his Voice failing to intimidate the King of Rohan, having someone he still thought of as a subordinate member of his own order on the doorstep (someone whom Galadriel had tried to supplant him with on the Council) and who was acting very "officiously," and above all, knowing (as Denethor did) that there was truly no hope of defeating Sauron militarily but believing that the Ring was still in play somewhere, if it could only be located... well, it's difficult to think of any way I might not have acted as Saruman did, had I been in his place (which I wouldn't have been, of course, as I love trees and don't want to take over the world).
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote