Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2002, 02:16 AM   #11
Eowyn of Rohan
Enting

I too have my copy of the extended version now, and I couldn't be more delighted that New Line distributed it.

Fav moments:
- Green dragon w/ Merry & Pippin table dancing and singing.
- Aragorn getting his legs knocked out from under him by Merry and Pip when wrestling with Boromir during their sword training (no one has mentioned that yet I believe - it wasn't in the original was it?). It shows Aragorn's light and playful side - much needed.)
- Galadriel laughing (how wonderful! - also much needed).
- Gift givings (particularly the cloaks, elven rope, Gimli's reflection of getting Galadriel's hairs)
- Lembas introduction

.... and here is where I jump off and need to address other people's "problem" with this scene.

Call it gutter humor all you want.

Really!! ::rolling eyes:: Is that all you can focus on? Are you REALLY and purposefully trying to apply the etiquette rules of today's societies to:
1- a few people's interpretations
2- of the customs and actions
3- of a couple of characters
4- out of a make believe movie
5- that is based on a fictional work of literature
??

Merry picked his teeth! Would you like to start complaining about that too?

Really! Some of you people focus on the most ridiculous things to be insulted by.

If you are so faint of heart that a natural bodily function so readily offends you, then you completely miss the overall effects and details that that moment brings to the movie. That less than a minutes segment (not really part of the gift giving ceremony) would have SURELY been valuable to have left in the original, burp and all (and, yes, it was a burp!)

That scene was valuable for so many reasons!!
1- it introduces the audience to the existence of Lembas.
2- It explains it's function and importance.
3- It is the reason that the audience won't later ask "Well, how are these individuals surviving out there for so long with so seemingly little sustinance."
4- It shows how Elves view it's importance.
5- It reaffirms the culture of the Hobbits loving to eat!
6- It reaffirms how close Merry and Pip are (Merry doesn't even NEED to ask Pip *IF* he had any, he only needs to ask just how many he actually had.)
7- Burping is humorous to most of society today (those who don't think it VULGAR do anyway), and humor is necessary in these moments of the film to give the story a pleasing flow and to give the audience a chance to "catch it's breath" before the next moments of high energy action sequences!

So, stick those opinions under your hat and tinker around with them for awhile. If you still feel you have a valuable reason to have NOT had that scene in place (burp and all), then come back and post your opinions on it, ... and I'll be happy to point out all the reasons why you are wrong. ::BURP!!::

~ Eowyn killed the Witchking, not Merry. ~
Eowyn of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote