Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2002, 12:20 PM   #11
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Instead of quoting music lyrics that add nothing of interest to this thread topic, why not actually address a relevant point, Cirdan?

Even though your earlier "evidence" was an off-topic comparison of the book to the movie, let's use one of your points for the sake of creating a relevant discussion:

Cirdan said:
Quote:
Important to the creation of the fastasy is Tom B. and Goldberry. Unexpected allies are critical to the thread of the story. It is not one hobbit and his posse against the world. The enigmatic pair lend a bit of mystery to the story.
I don't think the theme of unexpected allies comes crashing down with the removal of Tom Bombadil. In the book, the Grey Haven-bound elves, Farmer Maggot, and Aragorn are all unexpected allies on the way to Rivendell. I don't see Tom and Goldberry as an enigmatic pair. I see them as devices which make the reader wonder whether he's reading a kiddie tale instead of an adult fantasy. Tom detracts from the sense of realism that Tolkien works so carefully to cultivate everywhere else in the books. Ultimately, Tom and Goldberry add nothing to the plot so Jackson wisely eliminated them from the screenplay. Before the movie came out, some people I know tried reading the book for the first time and gave up at (surprise, surprise) the appearance of Tom Bombadil. Tolkien would have had a tighter and better trilogy without Tom and Goldberry's cartoonish silliness.