FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2002, 05:41 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I have BoLT part 2 and never really enjoyed it very much, I think because of all the name changes (Tinwelint and Gwendeling for Thingol and Melian?? ugh...) Also, after reading all of Michael Martinez's comments about BoLT belonging to a different mythology, I didn't really go back to it - it is just too different. (What do you think, SGH?)

Besides LOTR and the Sil, I have Unfinished Tales and Morgoth's Ring (which I got because I had heard about the Athrabeth), and like them both a lot. I don't know which would be next on my wish list - perhaps War of the Jewels? Would you give me your recommendation, please, SGH?

AND ... Just to stay with the thread's topic - The only thing that I don't like about the Athrabeth is the image of Aegnor with his hair standing up! Somewhere Tolkien writes that his hair resembled a flame (his name meant Sharp Flame, or something like that - don't have reference handy) in both color and in that it stood up like a flame! Not a good mental image, IMHO. Oh well, no one's perfect!
I definately found the BoLTs to be boring. I did enjoy very much the "Lay of Lethien" in "The Lays of Beleriand" and that is part of the old mythology.

If the Silmarillion has been your cup of tea so to speak and you have enjoyed Morgoth's Ring, then I highly recommend your next attempt be War of the Jewels, and then The Peoples of Middle-earth. Remember that War of the Jewels and Morgoth's Ring are part one and two of the Later Silmarillion.

Now, about Aegnor's hair. there is only one reference in the Athrabeth made about his hair, and that is when Andreth says to Finrod: "Will he be there, tall and bright with the wind in his hair?"
I think we need to remember that Finrod, Galadriel, Aegnor and Angrod had the golden hair of the Vanyar if memory serves me correctly. So I don't think Aegnor had a head of flames.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote