Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2002, 05:38 AM   #1
Draken
Elf Lord

Authors who should have quite while ahead

Have any of you any thoughts on authors who started off well but who you wish had stopped writing sooner than they did?

For me three that spring to mind are:

Isaac Asimov - the cleverness of his early robot stories and the unique vision of the original Foundation trilogy eventually spoiled by increasingly pedantic efforts to weld them all together.

Frank Herbert - ok Dune was initially meant as a trilogy, but the latter two books in it paled in comparison to the brilliant first book. And the ones that followed went downhill fast.

Robert Heinlein - the energy of his "future history" stories, the imagination of "Stranger in a Strange Land" - if you like these, don't read his last few books.

Anyone agree/disagree, or have some nominations of their own?

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote