Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2002, 04:25 PM   #11
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
List of people who should shut up about abortion.

1.) Men

2.) People who haven't adopted a child.

3.) People who don't pay taxes to support unwanted children.

Not everyone has access to birth control. Not everyone is intelligent enough to think life through. People make mistakes. Abortion is sad, but not as sad as the child in the orphage that doesn't find a home. Not as sad as the crack-addicted baby. Not as sad as the abused child. If it were a perfect world we wouldn't need abortion.
So true.

I would add to that list: anyone who has never been in a situation similar in any way to the following -
1) been raped, molested, or similarly abused.
2) been abandoned the father upon discovery of pregancy, and otherwise alone on the world, barely able to support self, let alone baby.
3) risks being disowned/killed by family if pregancy is discovered, usually for "moral" reasons.

It's a hard enough decision to make already. Very often, women who need abortions have enough to worry about. They don't need people who have absolutely no idea what they are going through getting all judgemental (or worse) on them. If they do go through with the pregnancy, then I'll applaud their strength and resolve. If not, I'll do the same. If I were in a similar situation, I'm not sure I wouldn't suicide.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote