Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2002, 10:08 PM   #1
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Bye for a while!

*sob...* Sad news, everyone...Lent is starting tomorrow. ( For those who care to know, Lent is a Christian season of repentence and prayer lasting for forty days.) During the season, my parents are making the whole family go without computer and TV except on Sundays. So as you can tell, I WON'T be doing much posting for the next 40 days. But on Sundays, expect me on ALL DAY! I'll be here tomorrow, too, but no weekdays or Saturdays after that. So bye for a while! I'll be back every Sunday!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:15 PM   #2
Ben
Retired Ent

Wow! Good luck. (Why couldn't they have made it easier and made you go without food or water instead? )

Looking forward to seeing you on Sundays.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

See 'ya,

At least I got it a little easier. No meat on fridays 'cept for fish.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:28 PM   #4
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Heh heh

On Yom Kippur us Jews can't eat or drink for a whole 27 hours. But it's only 27 hours.

I hope it's spiritually fulfilling and such
Old 02-12-2002, 10:47 PM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

27?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:52 PM   #6
gdl96
the greg the admin

Good luck with lent. I'm Jewish. I'm not a very good Jew though. But I do like the jokes you get to use by being part of the religion.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:54 PM   #7
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

From sunset until slightly after sunset 6:00pm-8:00pm the next night. You're pretty hungry by the last hour and since you've spent 18 hours praying (the last 2 standing up) you're about to faint.

It's supposed to be spiritually uplifting, but it could be the hallucinations.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:18 PM   #8
gdl96
the greg the admin

No offense, but I don't do the 18 hours of praying. First, I get a nice sleep, go to temple for maybe 3 hours (but not in the service most of the time) and then just hang out the rest of the afternoon. Usually family and friends come over or we go somewhere and then we break the fast together. I'm just not very religious. Although I do fast. And this year I made it successfuly by just occupying my mind. The time flew by, and before I knew it, it was time to eat.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:54 PM   #9
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Thanks for reminding me, I'd forgotten...I'm not Catholic, but I give something up.

Oh, yeah, fasting for 27 hours really sucks. I fast for 30 hours as a fundraiser for my church every year, but it's really, reallllly lenient.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:06 AM   #10
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I grew up Catholic - You're supposed to give up something that you choose - not your parents. I suggest giving up liver or something - it always worked for me and I never failed once.

Yeah GDL - my mother used to always say that Jews told the best Jewish jokes. A lot of people she worked with were Jewish and she used to bring home a lot of jokes. Maybe you should start a Jewish Joke Thread.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 12:07 AM   #11
Renille

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
Wow! Good luck. (Why couldn't they have made it easier and made you go without food or water instead? )
I would have given up both! I was begging all night after that to make me give up ANYTHING but Entmoot, but only further convinced them that I was addicted to the 'net...

Jerseydevil, my parents are making me give up computer plus something of my own choosing. I respond to their questions of "So what else are you giving up?" with "I won't have a life for forty days...do I HAVE to give up anything else?"

Last edited by Renille : 02-13-2002 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:29 AM   #12
mirrille
Elven Warrior

My school also had one of those 30 hr famine things and it was really really lenient. I wasn't doing it, but my choir was doing some of the entertainment (where people get together for the last few hours of the fast)
Why so easy?
I think because we were partly sponsored by a soy products/tofu company, so instead of being allowed just water, the participants got all the soymilk they could drink. I thought that was really funny. Of course, I suspect soymilk is a bit of an acquired taste.

To all those people who have these fasts and rituals, hang in there!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 02:55 AM   #13
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Omigosh though, the 30 hour famine is sooo much fun! The year I did it (year before last) I got about 2 hours of sleep. We slept in the school building and it was crazy. We were allowed to drink whatever we wanted, but I actually wasn't too hungry after awhile. Guess what we did during the last four hours of the fast?

A bake sale! Well, actually, we had about an hour or so left, so we went to an archery range, but I slept in the van because I was tired. This other guy was there too, he hadn't slept at all.

I'm really excited about this year, I can't wait! We are allowed to drink 1 can of Ensure (yuck) and have one bowl of icecream, and any drink we bring. I found out that drinking tea isn't really cheating, because if you don't but any sweetener in it it has 0 calories...yum!
Old 02-13-2002, 03:02 AM   #14
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Tea isn't cheating.
Soymilk is definitely cheating, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, it's basically the liquid form of tofu (doesn't have as much calcium), usually with some sugar in it. ]
Good luck with your famine.
Raise lots of money!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #15
gdl96
the greg the admin

When you're Jewish and fasting for Yom Kippur, it's very strict. You don't get drinks or food, not even water. You're not even supposed to chew gum or take a shower or brush your teeth. (Although, I do take a shower and use mouthwash...no food breath is horrible)

I was just watching the Seinfeld episode yesturday where Jerry's dentist converted to Judaism, and he starts telling a lot of Jewish jokes. Jerry thinks that the dentist converted to Judaism just for the jokes. He goes and talks to the dentist's former priest. The priest asks "Does this offend you as a Jew?" and Jerry replies "No, it offends me as a comedian".

btw, I noticed that the dentist was played by the guy who plays Malcom's dad Hal in Fox's show Malcom in the Middle.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:10 PM   #16
Renille

Last time 'til Sunday...NOOO! But semi-good news...they let me use e-mail all week! So someone, pllleeaase e-mail me and tell me what I'm missing. Thanks...see you on Sunday.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:14 PM   #17
notthatinnocent
Enting

Though break. My mom tried to pull that card too! Instead I'm giving up biting my nails.

-Laura
Old 02-13-2002, 11:17 PM   #18
ryan
t2t relic

Id die of a panic attack if i couldn't bite my nails for 40 days. Good luck.
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote