Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2002, 11:44 AM   #21
Millane
The Dude

Viggo is soooo perfect aragorn just imagine if they had let stuart townsend play him...
my last post was not an attack on the film coz i think that the lifting of Legolas to a god like figure comes through the advertising i posted after i had just been watching the making of... if was all Legolas no Gimli or Gandalf... honestly when referring to Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas they said Legolas and his companions... but i know that is not the film and i would never say anything bad about PJ, speaking about the making of do you think they will put Sean Astins movie in the TT dvd, that would be awesome.
i am glad it hasnt stuck to the book entirely Harry Potter did that and it made the film crap as...
Just think about helms deep 30 minutes battle mmmmmm all us battle pigs will be very happy.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:18 PM   #22
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween

i am far from blinkred from my love of the movie i love the movie and in fairness i watched it before i read the books but still i think all the changes made in fellowship made sence. making frodo more suseptable to the evil of the ring, making aragorn not so big headed (because let face anyone that turns round and says i am king and i will rule in a film will come across as arogant) and the involvment of arwen all worked.

The alterations made to the fellowship don’t seem to work so well to me. Frankly, I think the characters lost a lot of dept.
Frodo strength is mostly absent from The FotR.
Aragon is portrayed as weak and undecided, and gives an impression of not being very competent. If he would look as arrogant if he sowed himself determined to claim his inheritance, in the FotR movie he simply look unsuitable for the job.
Gandalf looks totally at lost of what is going on, frankly, I liked the book’s wise Gandalf better.
And this is just with the Felloship.

PS. If someone wonders why I’m still picking in this old debate, it is because I’ve only recently seen the movie FotR, so it is quite recent to me.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:50 PM   #23
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I liked LotR!

But what about RotK!!!!

It sounds so different from the book!!!!!!!!!!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:52 PM   #24
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I am a bit of a Tolkien purist myself, and I was a bit bothered by the changes in FotR and the rumors with TT and RotK.

But then, I can see why PJ altered most of them, so so far I have yet to hunt him down.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:54 PM   #25
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Lollypopgurl, as you proclaim yourself a purist, I wonder if the quote in your sig ("Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?") was placed there out of intentional irony. After all, you're quoting the guy who turned Saruman the White into Aruman the Red.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:56 PM   #26
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Sorry...
Old 12-19-2002, 06:58 PM   #27
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

(Um, that was a tongue-in-cheek non-sequitur on my part... no apology required)
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 08:20 PM   #28
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
The alterations made to the fellowship don’t seem to work so well to me. Frankly, I think the characters lost a lot of dept.
Frodo strength is mostly absent from The FotR.
Aragon is portrayed as weak and undecided, and gives an impression of not being very competent. If he would look as arrogant if he sowed himself determined to claim his inheritance, in the FotR movie he simply look unsuitable for the job.
Gandalf looks totally at lost of what is going on, frankly, I liked the book’s wise Gandalf better.
And this is just with the Felloship.

PS. If someone wonders why I’m still picking in this old debate, it is because I’ve only recently seen the movie FotR, so it is quite recent to me.
i havent been checking this thread so forgive the lateness of my reply. I think jackson is going more down the lines of the ring is very very evil than the book does at least early on if frodo wasnt called the ringbearer in the book you could quite forget hes got it.

Aragorn is protrayed as a man that does not want to fail and does also not believe he has a god given right to rule a far more easy character for people with no prior knoledge of the books to relate to than someone block that turns up one night with a broken sword and proclaims hes gonna be king.

Gandalf in the book is more undecided they dont half mess about in the book in terms of time. In the film he allways moves things along swifty and pretty much in the best direction i love him knowing whats in moria
Old 12-19-2002, 08:54 PM   #29
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
[B]After all, you're quoting the guy who turned Saruman the White into Aruman the Red.
lol

That reminded me, yesterday after seeing TTT I went to a LOTR/Star Wars/that sort of thing store and found a "Mossbeard Treeman" Action figure doll type thing
Old 12-19-2002, 09:40 PM   #30
azalea
Long lost mooter

Let's try to keep this thread in topic (specifically, The Return of the King movie). So far it's only been mentioned once on this page.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote