Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
matthew
Enting

did sam go to Valinor???

After reading the LotR, one of my biggest questions has been if sam did go to valinor. I mean, tolkien didnt leave much hanging, but the only clue was frodo mysteriously saying " your time may come". so for a long time I had no idea. but now,after finishing the war of the ring, i feel like tolkiens intended epilogue did imply sams eventual departure. But i still want to hear everyone elses opinion on this.

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:54 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

yeah he went to Tol Eressea after he had been mayor of the Shire for like the 7th time or something like that....I think the Appendices explain it better than I did
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
matthew
Enting

the appendices say???
I never saw that!!!
Im opening my copy of ROTK as i type!
ohh goodie!

Flame me. Go ahead.

Vote Nader.

Gadzooks! Run!
Old 01-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #5
matthew
Enting

Dang it your right he did.
and its right in the tale of years too. i must have read that at some point.
oh the embarrasment.

Flame me. Go ahead.

Vote Nader.

Gadzooks! Run!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

LOL, don't wrry. On a board like this, you'll see all of us commit some howlers.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

As long as we're on the subject, what happens to mortals that go west? I assume Gimli, Frodo, Bilbo, and Sam all died eventually. Is that right?
Thorin II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:36 PM   #8
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorin II
As long as we're on the subject, what happens to mortals that go west? I assume Gimli, Frodo, Bilbo, and Sam all died eventually. Is that right?
Yes...all mortals that go west...which is basically only the ringbearers and Gimli will die b/c that is their fate. The one Man who went West was Tuor and I believe Iluvatar allowed him to be joined with the Eldar b/c of his love for them and for his wife Idril.

For Frodo,bilbo and sam the passage west was for healing and they eventually died...note that they never set foot upon Aman but stayed in Tol Eressea only.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:44 AM   #9
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Thanks, Arien. That's what I thought.
Thorin II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:34 AM   #10
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Thanks, Arien. That's what I thought.
sure! anytime!
Old 01-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #11
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf

I wonder if Smeagol had survived, would he have been allowed to 'go west' and would he have healed?
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:01 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

He, at least, seems to think he would have died instantly when the ring was destroyed.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:35 AM   #13
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

I suspect Gollum would've died after the Ring was destroyed (immediately or shortly thereafter). Even if he hadn't, I doubt he would've been allowed to sail West. While he was technically a Ringbearer, I think the term is intended to refer to those who carried the Ring on the quest to destroy it. Bilbo didn't exactly do so, but he did bring the Ring to the Shire and pass the Ring to Frodo to start the process.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:14 AM   #14
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:

gimli ruled the caves of helms deep and became the lord of the glittering caves. and i know sam went to grey havens cuz he was once a ring bearer.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:19 AM   #15
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
They 'burn out' and die quickly (though they certainly enjoy themselves in the meantime.)
Old 01-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #16
matthew
Enting

I'm a gollum redemption fan. he should've gone west anyway.
I thought the saddesst part of pjs movie of TT was sam abusing gollum when he was so close to recovery. BooHoo.

Flame me. Go ahead.

Vote Nader.

Gadzooks! Run!
Old 01-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #17
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

There is more to it as well, this is from the Appendices:

Quote:
In year 61 of the 4th age:
Death of Mistress Rose, wife of Master Samwise, on Mid-year's Day. On September 22 Master Samwise rides out from Bag End. He comes to the Tower Hills, and is last seen by Elanor, to whom he gives the Red Book afterwards kept by the Fairbairns. Among them the tradition is handed down from Elanor that Samwise passed the Towers, and went to the Grey Havens, and passed over the Sea, last of the Ring-bearers.

In year 120 of the 4th age:
In this year on March 1st came at last the Passing of King Elessar. It is said that the beds of Meriadoc and Peregrin were set beside the bed of the great king. Then Legolas built a greay ship in Ithilien, and sailed down Anduin and so over the Sea; and with him, it is said, went Gimli the Dwarf. And when that ship passed an end was come in Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:11 AM   #18
Ulmo
Enting

About the Ringbearers and Gimli dying:

Letter 154

Quote:
But in this story it is supposed that there may be certain rare exceptions or accommodations (legitimately supposed? there always seem to be exceptions); and so certain 'mortals', who have played some great part in Elvish affairs, may pass with the Elves to Elvenhome. Thus Frodo (by the express gift of Arwen) and Bilbo, and eventually Sam (as adumbrated by Frodo); and as a unique exception Gimli the Dwarf, as friend of Legolas and 'servant' of Galadriel. I have said nothing about it in this book, but the mythical idea underlying is that for mortals, since their 'kind' cannot be changed for ever, this is strictly only a temporary reward: a healing and redress of suffering. They cannot abide for ever, and though they cannot return to mortal earth, they can and will 'die' of free will, and leave the world.
Letter 246

Quote:
'Alas! there are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured', said Gandalf (III 268) not in Middle-earth. Frodo was sent or allowed to pass over Sea to heal him if that could be done, before he died. He would have eventually to 'pass away': no mortal could, or can, abide for ever on earth, or within Time. So he went both to a purgatory and to a reward, for a while: a period of reflection and peace and a gaining of a truer understanding of his position in littleness and in greatness, spent still in Time amid the natural beauty of 'Arda Unmarred', the Earth unspoiled by evil.
Letter 325

Quote:
As for Frodo or other mortals, they could only dwell in Aman for a limited time - whether brief or long. The Valar had neither the power nor the right to confer 'immortality' upon them. Their sojourn was a 'purgatory', but one of peace and healing and they would eventually pass away (die at their own desire and of free will) to destinations of which the Elves knew nothing.

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:32 PM   #19
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum

Wow. Wish I knew that. Where do people get those letters any way, are they in some sort of book?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:47 PM   #20
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

troll's bane:

the letters are compiled into one volume called "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien" (hehe what else would it be called? ) and you can buy it in bookstores/online. If your bookstore doesn't have it I bet if you asked they could order it for you. (that's what I had to do)

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote