Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-17-2001, 01:44 PM   #1
juntel

The Benefits of Tobacco

"A report from tobacco giant Philip Morris that cigarette-smoking saves governments millions because smokers die earlier than non-smokers has outraged anti-smoking groups around the world.
The Philip Morris report says the savings come from reduced health care and pension costs for the elderly."

"Remi Calvet, a spokesman for Philip Morris, told The Associated Press: 'We deeply regret any impression that premature death of smokers could represent a benefit for society. Tobacco is a controversial industry, but we are still an industry and sometimes we need some economic data on our industry.' "

cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/...moke010717
Old 07-17-2001, 03:27 PM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: The Benefits of Tobacco

oh my
Old 07-17-2001, 03:50 PM   #3
webwizard333

Thet are cynical . . . <sigh>
Old 07-17-2001, 06:53 PM   #4
bmilder

I hate smoking, and you cant escape it here in Europe. We're much more civilized in America .
Old 07-17-2001, 07:09 PM   #5
captain Tarpols

thqt news story is one of thje only running on BBC:: interesting stuff: that proves thqt he only cares about mqking money and not humqn lives::::stupid keyboqrd so cqnùt get into it: bens right; everyone here smokes:::we will check in lqter: sorry for errors °kicks foreign computer keyboqrd° for once this hqs nothing to do zith ,y spelling. from that sentence you should tell the keyboqrd differences: :P
Old 07-17-2001, 07:12 PM   #6
Johnny Lurker

*ROFLMAO*

Now that brightened my day. Seriously, that's great. I think Philip Morris just buried themselves.
Old 07-17-2001, 07:33 PM   #7
captain Tarpols

Re: *ROFLMAO*

1 min left; later everyone
Old 07-17-2001, 07:33 PM   #8
Darth Tater

For those of you who have no idea what Tristan said (all of us ) the computer keyboards in Europe are quite different, which is why his message looks garbled.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:52 PM   #9
Shanamir Duntak

Here, in North America, we use the qwerty standard keyboards... in Europe, they use azerty keyboards.... whats the difference? It's obviously where the keys are placed. The top row of keys of a qwerty keyboard is Q W E R T Y.... you guess what it is for A Z E R T Y keyboards.... here the translation of the Captain post:
Quote:
that news story is one of the only running on BBC.. interesting stuff: that proves that he only cares about making money and not human lives....stupid keyboard so can't get into it. bens right, everyone here smokes....we will check in later. sorry for errors *kicks foreign computer keyboard* for once this has nothing to do with my spelling. from that sentence you should tell the keyboard differences. :P
Here in Québec, whenever you want to install some new french software, it start by assuming you have an azerty keyboard... really annoying (had to learn the azerty's keys places)
Old 07-18-2001, 02:31 AM   #10
anduin

Recently too they have announced that something in the tobacco plant is possibly a cure for non-lymphoma Hodgenson's disease. Tobacco is a huge industry here in Kentucky and it has been on the news constantly. They are currently producing and testing the drug here in Kentucky and it could be accepted by the FDA sometime in the next 3-5 years.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:32 AM   #11
juntel

I hope one shouldn't have to smoke it to be cured!
Old 07-18-2001, 10:19 AM   #12
noldo

Are there any people here that do smoke? Fat Middle? In countries like Spain and France a huge amount of the population smokes and therefor no laws against doing it in public places like restaurants have been adjusted unlike in some EU-countries (Sweden, Denmark...). You have laws against smoking in the States, then?
Old 07-18-2001, 12:02 PM   #13
Shanamir Duntak

Smokers

We have laws against smoking here in Québec. It's forbidden to smoke in any public building, execpt in places where it's clearly indicated. (Including now shopping center & al.)

By the way, I do not smoke.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:16 PM   #14
anduin

Re: Smokers

In the states, all public buildings are smoke free. However, bars and restaurants allow smoking. In restaurants they have designated areas for smoking and non-smoking. I think in California you aren't permitted to smoke anywhere, except maybe you own home, which I am sure they would change if they could.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:31 PM   #15
noldo

We have non-smoking and smoking areas in some cafes and restaurants but usually you're not allowed to smoke.

I don't smoke either - regularly.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:15 PM   #16
juntel

I've seen a Tim Horton (sort of a Dunkin Donut) having the smoking area totally enclosed by glass (or most probably plexiglass)...

Quite a scene...

OTOH, I was at a restaurant with a friend the other day; we were at a table in the "non-smoking" section... and the table right next to us (at a handshake distance!) was in the "smoking" section...

Go figure...
Old 07-18-2001, 08:19 PM   #17
Shanamir Duntak

Hum.... donuts.... The law is stilll deficient in some ways.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:18 AM   #18
noldo

Quote:
I've seen a Tim Horton (sort of a Dunkin Donut) having the smoking area totally enclosed by glass (or most probably plexiglass)...

Quite a scene...
So, the smoke didn't get out anywhere? A Turkish bath but just without the hot steams and nudity?
Old 07-19-2001, 01:20 AM   #19
Shanamir Duntak

Well... I didn.'t see that, but I'd guess there were some kind of mean of venting the place! (Hope so!)
Old 07-19-2001, 03:34 AM   #20
truekid

here they require smoking and non-smoking sections of a restaurant to have completely separate ventilation systems... a recent development which basically meant that quite a few restaurants just made all their outside tables the smoking ones...