Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-12-2003, 12:04 AM   #1
Anadriewen
Enting

Arwen Undomiel I had lost my ring (my precious!)

Just so you guys know, this is where you can post almost any weird stories you have that are about lotr. Mine is that last year, I got a lotr ring. It was terribly cheap (I ordered from a school book order) so I got it. I also can't order stuff on line. So I got it. It had a special place in my room. I wore it every day. sometmes on a chain, sometimes on my finger. Then it started to turn silver so I stopped wearing it so much. Then one day, it was gone. I was soooo upset cuz i just knew i'd never be able to find it or get another one cause now the only way to get it was to order one online. So i just gave up looking. That was about 6, maybe more maybe less, months ago. Then all the sudden, last week, my mom comes up to me and asks if the ring she was holding was mine. It was completely silver, dirty, with a few minor dents but the writing was still gold and I could see all the letters, but it was mine. So now i have it back and am wearing it on my finger. I want to some how make it gold again but im scared that if i paint it or something i won't be able to see the writing. But wutever. If this thread is in the wrong place im sorry. Im also sorry if this post is long(cuz it is), if this is a boring thread, and if this was a stupid idea.

Last edited by Anadriewen : 11-12-2003 at 12:06 AM.
Anadriewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:38 AM   #2
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Theoden

LOL, how about: this year, I finally wore out my leather single-volume edition of LotR, so I repaired it, put it in its case, and bought a paperback edition. That makes the fifth set of the LotR that I have bought.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

Anadriewen, did you try a liquid jewelry cleaning solution? That might make it look better, or at least shiny again.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
Anadriewen
Enting

No, I don't have the money right now. My family would also probably laugh at me because me and my sis are already way too obsessed with lotr, never mind fixing a $9 ring. You had a good idea but i think i'll just try to save up, by a better one (if i can find one again thats not online) and just have a silver ring. And Attalus, my sis (we share it somehow) has one set of lotr and my mom bought fotr and the hobbit for us. Thats it. What would u do with 5?!?!?!

Last edited by Anadriewen : 11-12-2003 at 07:13 PM.
Anadriewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:48 PM   #5
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally posted by Anadriewen
And Attalus, my sis (we share it somehow) has one set of lotr and my mom bought fotr and the hobbit for us. Thats it. What would u do with 5?!?!?!
LOL, the first two, I wore completely out: those were the pirated Ace Edition and the Ballantine Second American Edition, with the artwork on the covers that Tolkien so disliked. The third, a hardback casebound HMCo edition, I sold to a friend when I got my leather-bound edition in 1977. She has it still. The fourth, as I have said, was the leather-bound single volume edition. It finally gave up the ghost earlier this year (spine and hinges fell apart). So, I bought the paperback edition (#5).
Old 11-15-2003, 09:14 PM   #6
Anadriewen
Enting

LOL. Wow. And I thought ours were getting a bit worn out!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #7
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

if you want a new ring, you can get them on those bookmarks at Barnes and NOble for like 3 or 4$... mine came in my lotr risk game!!

heres a weird very unfair story. my friend who moved to California and whos dad works for disney and is like all important and stuf,f is trying to get tickets for him and my friend to go the premier of rotk!!! for her christmas present!

and my friend hasnt even read the books!

this is sooooooo unfair!
*goes off and mopes..* *not fair, not fair my precious...........* *not fait at all!*

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:19 PM   #8
Anadriewen
Enting

I have no idea where Barnes and Noble are but I'm trying to get my parents to get me the lotr risk game but i doubt i'll get it.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:57 AM   #9
thranduil
Elven Warrior

I wore the ring from LOTR risk "once", and it got stuck. So this girl worked on it for about an hour and a half and finally it came off. Oh I was so happy it was off then she asked if she could have it. And I gave her my precious so I wouldn't risk it getting stuck on my finger again.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:43 PM   #10
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

I guess this can count as a "weird LotR thing":

I have also bought a cheap ring. Well, on my way to class, someone asked if they could see it. I let them look at it, and they asked me if they could wear it for just one of their classes. I let them wear it (being the nice person I am ) and they were as happy as a rabbit (I have no idea...don't ask ). Right in the middle of my class, I got called to the office. I go down to the office, and the whole time I'm wondering waht it is I could have done. When I go into the office, I was taken to the principal's little area.
There was that guy I had let borrow my ring, and the principal, who is struggling to supress a laugh, tells me that the guy had been skipping around class, tapping people and hitting their heads, and throwing erasers and things at the teacher, and singing "you can't see me, you can't see me".
The principal made him return the ring to me, as the guy had told him that it was mine, and I left with a warnng while the other guy got detention for 2 days.
Now, whenever I see the idiot who did that, I hold up the ring and he starts hissing (he is a very odd person, if you hadn't noticed ). It has turned into a big joke between the 2 of us.
Thats was the last time I ever let anyone borrow my precioussss.
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #11
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Ummm, I don't really understand why anyone would want the One ring. You folks do recall that it symbolizes pure evil don't you????

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:19 PM   #12
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Bacchus
Ummm, I don't really understand why anyone would want the One ring. You folks do recall that it symbolizes pure evil don't you????

And evil is...bad??? Jk. But the ring is a kinda cool thing to have, ya' know? You can always be like "Hey! I have the One Ring. How 'bout you?" Er...I'm like that anyway.
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 01:21 AM   #13
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

My boyfriend gave me a beautiful ring about year ago. (It's more like one of the elves rings rather than the One Ring though ) Before I had it resized, I was riding my bicycle, and it slowly slipped down my finger. (Because it was too large.) It was barely on the tip of my finger when I noticed.
I thought it was like when the One Ring excercises a mind of its own. Since I've had it fit to my finger, it seems to be content in my possession.
I wear it every day, and my hand misses it when I don't wear it.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:40 PM   #14
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I think Tolkien would agree. Was there not an admirer who gave him a cup engraved with the Ring verse, and he only saw fit to use it as an ash-tray? Or something like that.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:02 PM   #15
Anadriewen
Enting

Thats interesting. But i guess in a way your right, but in my view it a good.....souveneir( ) of lotr
Old 12-11-2003, 04:30 AM   #16
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Awww, come on. We're all evil, I thought that would be obvious by now. Give in to the interesting prospect of worlddomination!
Old 12-13-2003, 02:44 PM   #17
Anadriewen
Enting

And besides, don't you remeber? Its hard for us normal ppl to resist the ring! If we can get it, we will!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:20 PM   #18
katya
Elven Maiden

I thought it would be fun to forge my own ring of power. I came up with some really bad ideas, involving everything from glue to bread. The finished product is basically a key-ring with a bunch of masking tape around it, coloured gold with marker. I keep it locked up in a secret compartment. I just misplaced the key...
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #19
matthew
Enting

What is this urge to have your own one rings? if you could explain it that would be great. speaking of which , I spend no money on LotR at all. i have all the paperback editions of the boks the library doesnt have, and i dont even have a copy of RotK.

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:17 PM   #20
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
What is this urge to have your own one rings? if you could explain it that would be great.
well, it's just one of those things where you can be like: "I HAVE THE ONE RING! MUAHAHAHA!" oh, hm, *clears throat.* anyway, i don't know how to explain it... but i do have a little story!

my dad sometimes gets this catalog-thing that has memorabilia from different movies and whatnot, and recently they've featured LOTR stuff. there's all sorts of things: full length swords, One Rings, brooches styled after the movie... so forth and so on. anyway, he ordered a few things for christmas and he got me something (which hasn't come in yet and i don't know what it is), but he also got my uncle this letter opener that was styled to look like Glamdring. anyway, the funny part of the story is that my uncle opens it up and we have this semi-longstanding joke that came about when we talked about throwing this puzzle -that was of Gandalf and Glamdring - into a bonfire, so he opens it up and says "the sword of Gandalf will never burn! GLAMDRING LIVES!" it was hilarious... but maybe you had to be there.