Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2003, 02:52 AM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Rumors of RotK...

I heard that they made it 4 hours long with an intermission. Has anyone else heard this as well?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 03:35 AM   #2
smaug_the_magnificent
Hobbit

AICN are reporting (from a pretty good source) that the theatrical cut will definitely be 3 and a half hours duration

I find the 4 hours (with intermission) rumour a little dubious, but certainly I won't mind if this is the case.. It will no doubt add to the grandiose nature & aura of the film! Whether intermissions are a commercial reality in today's time is far from certain but if they were to have this situation, doubtless film 3 of the greatest story ever told could be the only one to get away with it!

Personally, I'd be very happy with three and a half hours... To put it into context, that's essentially the length of the EE of Film One.. If it were 3 hours (as the theatrical cuts have hitherto been) then I'd be somewhat worried - a lot of material would then need to be compromised, and the editing would likely suffer the same ill fate of The Two Towers

However three and a half for the theatrical cut is very encouraging - go through yourself what we know PJ will include in the RotK and I think you'll find that such a running time will satisfy the amount of content required and more importantly, allow it to extrapolate at a reasonable pace
smaug_the_magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:07 AM   #3
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

While the spy report said 3 1/2 hours, I think it is still too early to say with total certainty that this will definitely be the running time. PJ and the editors are still hard at work.

I suspect that this will be a major debate between PJ and New Line who share final cut authority.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Also, if the film length is extended in time, do you think the Scouring of the Shire will be put back in?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 09-30-2003, 12:21 PM   #5
Sween
im quite stupid

How long is that gonna make the extended eddition?
Old 09-30-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I saw a report on another board that there was going to be an intermission. Could just be the same bogus rumour recirculating.

It's hard to imagine cinemas would be up for it; presumably they'd have to sacrifice one screening per day. Punters like me would appreciate not having to wear a catheter so as not to miss anything.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 01:35 PM   #7
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Scouring of the Shire in? No.

I recall reading an interview with Peter Jackson where he mentioned all the rumors surrounding the length of the first two films and insider reports on the 'official' length. He said he found them hilarious because in both cases, the length of the final film was never determined until right before he needed to send the completed film off to New Line.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:10 PM   #8
azalea
Long lost mooter

I agree, Gaffer!
I think theaters wouldn't mind an intermission, because that would mean more concession sales, which brings in more money for the theater than ticket sales. Besides, a 15 minute intermission isn't going to cut out that many extra showings of a movie that long, esp. considering that all the new megaplexes show it on about 4 different screens all day every day for the first week anyway.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 02:11 PM   #9
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

does that mean that rotk wont be four hours long? darn!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:02 PM   #10
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

my only suggestion is if there isnt an intermission.... dont drink too much water or soda. then youll be in a real fix!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:16 PM   #11
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar1400
my only suggestion is if there isnt an intermission.... dont drink too much water or soda. then youll be in a real fix!
ROTK may spur a big increase in sales for Depends adult diapers.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:16 PM   #12
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Strider

I think that there will be an intermission, I mean, there was one in gods and generals.
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:37 PM   #13
smaug_the_magnificent
Hobbit

Yes, it is true BB, that New Line have the final word on running time...

However, I think it's fair to say, on October 1st 2003, that PJ has a fair idea of how long the film is going to be.. notwithstanding, according to the director at least, he's been able to get his way hitherto vis-a-vis the film's length (so much for New Line's initial 2 and a 1/2 hour cap!)

The AICN spy reporter is *apparently* a close associate of Phillipa Boyens and she was able to, at this late stage, disclose a ball-park figure of 3 and a 1/2 hours..

To me, that seems right on the money
smaug_the_magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:18 PM   #14
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

The longer, the better, but there will still be scenes left out, which should be in, i.e. the scouring of the shire.

I thought PJ HAD to make the films just 3 hours for the theaters. It couldn't be over that time, otherwise he would have just kept in the scenes that were then put in the EE. I'm not sure, thats just what I heard. It is a bit too early to tell and it could be a rumor, but I'd like a four hour ROTK.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 03:48 AM   #15
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
ROTK may spur a big increase in sales for Depends adult diapers.
Heh heh. Maybe this will be good for the merchandising. Bag of popcorn, litre of coke and some "Anduril"rubber pants, please.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:46 PM   #16
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

or there could be bathrooms inside the theater w/ little screens in the stalls so u can still watch the movie.....

that would be hillarious
Old 10-02-2003, 03:40 AM   #17
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

dont know if anyone is associated with cinemas and can put me right, but I had heard ( from fat guy down the pub ) that they object to lengthy movies as they cannot fit as many showings during the day, and additional confectionary sales does not make up for the shortfall.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #18
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Anyone know of some good rumors sites so that maybe we can look into this further??

--Linaewen
Old 10-02-2003, 09:35 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by viggosbeard
dont know if anyone is associated with cinemas and can put me right, but I had heard ( from fat guy down the pub ) that they object to lengthy movies as they cannot fit as many showings during the day, and additional confectionary sales does not make up for the shortfall.
My bro worked at a theater for years, and he said that theaters get much (if not most) of their revenue through concessions, which is why they're priced so highly. That's why many theaters will offer free tickets to the last showing of a movie before it goes out of the theater -- it will bring people in, and they make money on food and drink, instead of the movie playing to an empty theater. (They only get a small % of $ from ticket sales due to cost of "buying" the movie to show, whatever the studio, distributor, etc get; popcorn and Coke are cheap, and they get all the profits)

So it depends on the length of the film -- of course they want more showings, because there would be more popcorn sold (1 1/2 hours is better than 2). But if the movie is long enough to have an intermission, people will come out to replenish the supplies. And an especially popular movie, such as Lotr, will bring in more people, which is why they show it on so many screens. I forget how we got on the subject, but frankly I doubt that what the theaters want has any bearing on the decision by New Line of the movie's running time will be. Anyway, the theaters will want to show it no matter what, because of its popularity.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:55 PM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
but frankly I doubt that what the theaters want has any bearing on the decision by New Line of the movie's running time will be.
Exactly! I also think that New Line would let PJ do just about anything he wants, even if it were to bump up the running time considering the mass success he has given New Line with these movies. I'm sure they are more than happy with their investment into these films...

--Linaewen