Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #1
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

The Hockey Thread

I did a search on Hockey and I didn't really find any "Hockey" threads were you can discuss your fav teams in general. I am guessing that the mods are getting annoyed with all the discussion over hockey teams in the "A Fun Question", thread so I decided to make this thread so that we can debate hockey with out being yelled at for spamming.

I personally, like the Leafs and the Devils the most. I think that the Leafs are going to make an amazing recovery and win the Cup (even though it is pretty much to late). Any other opinions out there?

Last edited by Lady of Rohan : 03-11-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:31 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Actually I think we were talking about Don Quixote and encyclopedias in that thread. *laugh* The fun thread (or whatever) was the one we were talking hockey in. We are just offtopicing all over the place.

Anyway.... GO CAPS! Jagr rules.

...but I think the Senators will win it all. Or the Red Wings.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Oops! Yah, it was the Fun Question thread. I still stand by what I said, even though I think it pretty much impossible.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #4
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Leafs rule. It's all about true blueness. And the playoffs are a second season-anything could happen.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:02 PM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
I personally, like the Leafs and the Devils the most
Yes! a felllow Devils fan. It doesn't look like the Devils and Nets are getting their new arena. This has been going on for 5 years and I wish they would. It would be so easy to get to by train - since it would be one block from Newark Penn Station.

Also the Devils are in financial trouble - people just don't go to the games with them playing in the Meadowlands.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Also the Devils are in financial trouble - people just don't go to the games with them playing in the Meadowlands.
Which is surprising because they are doing pretty well in the standings.

Old 03-11-2003, 02:24 PM   #7
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Which is surprising because they are doing pretty well in the standings.
I know - it's one of the terrible things. Even the year after they won the Stanley Cup - the seats were empty. When the Rangers play at the Meadowlands - there are more Rangers fans than Devils fans - yet the Rangers never win against the Devils.

This was in the Star Ledger today in an article about the Newark Arena...

Quote:
As recently as November, Puck Holdings,a seperate partnership from YankeeNets that owns the Devils, was looking for buyers of the team or new investors to pump in as much as $50 million to cover projected losses and make the final payment to former owner John McMullen.

The Devils' finances are so dire, according to state officials, that in recent weeks the team inquired about an advance on rent rebates owed on its lease of Continental Airlines Arena from the sports Authority.
I was surprised by that. I didn't think it was that bad. Part of the problem is New Jersey's lack of identity. Too many New Jerseyans support the Rangers and the southern part of the state support the Flyers.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #8
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I used to be a die hard ice hockey fan between 83-93. The strike really frosted me to the sport after that.

I think the product is really poor now. The super expansion has watered down the talent level.

What happened to the days when we had ten 50 goal scorers in a season?

What happened to end to end rushes?

What happened to rivalries like the Battle of Quebec and the Battle of Alberta and The Battle of NY?

I guess I am in a gripe fest.

I just like wide open hard hitting hockey, not clucth and grab.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:52 PM   #9
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Hockey triva

1) Who played on the famous Soviet KLM line?

2) How old was Gordie Howe when he had his best offensive year?

3) What was Larry Robinson's nickname?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-11-2003, 08:18 PM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Anyone play strat-o-matic hockey ( Board).

In the late 80's my friends and played. We had our drafts, league and teams.

My team was the Stockholm Ice Masters. In the first season my team went 61-17-2 and in the second season I went 67-13.

I really knew my hockey then and my friend allowed me to modify some players if they could modify theirs the same way.

The player that was me was a augmented Guy Lafleur.

My starting line up

The second season I ended up with 103 goals and 59 assist.

My center Luc Savage ( Peter Stasny) had 40goals and 167 assist

Left winger Kjell Eriksson ( Brian Propp) had 50 goals and 80 assist.

Left defense Raimo Larinen ( Ray Bourque) 14 goals and 57 assists.

And finally right defense Akira Neihara( Paul Coffey) 42 goals and 53 assists

Oh, the goalie Joerg Hoffman ( Bob Frose) 1.79 GAA

My second and third lines were damn good too.

I had a new game sent here to Japan, but this time I would succomb to the no modified players and we will eliminate scrub players and have sort of an all star league.

Also my massive teenage ego is gone and I will use a player that is more along the real me if I could really play. Probably a defensive forward with a physical presense.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-11-2003, 08:26 PM   #11
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

FLOOR HOCKEY IS THE BEST!!!!!!
IM AN ADDICTIVE FLOOR HOCKEY PLAYER AND MY MOTTO IS "WIN OR DIE"!!! HEHEHEHEHE!
Old 03-11-2003, 09:01 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
I used to be a die hard ice hockey fan between 83-93. The strike really frosted me to the sport after that.

I think the product is really poor now. The super expansion has watered down the talent level.

What happened to the days when we had ten 50 goal scorers in a season?

What happened to end to end rushes?

What happened to rivalries like the Battle of Quebec and the Battle of Alberta and The Battle of NY?

I guess I am in a gripe fest.

I just like wide open hard hitting hockey, not clucth and grab.
one could say basically the EXACT same things about baseball too.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:08 PM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Hockey triva
2) How old was Gordie Howe when he had his best offensive year?
Im not sure how old he was but I do know that Howe played for like 25 years or something before retiring then coming back out of retirement two years later to play another 7 years!! That will always be simply amazing. Anyway Im guessing the answer is he was not too young at all.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:19 PM   #14
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
I used to be a die hard ice hockey fan between 83-93. The strike really frosted me to the sport after that. (emphasis added)
Was your choice of words there intentional, because I find that very funny. Oh well...

I'm not much of a hockey fan, mainly because no one around here plays it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:48 PM   #15
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Wow! Khamul came and saw my thread, and he didn't close it! This is a new record for me!!
Old 03-11-2003, 11:52 PM   #16
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
I used to be a die hard ice hockey fan between 83-93.
I was hardley even alive while you were die harding for hockey.

Many new, players draughted (drafted, droughted...brought over...?) onto the Leafs now! Yay!
Old 03-12-2003, 02:56 AM   #17
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Im not sure how old he was but I do know that Howe played for like 25 years or something before retiring then coming back out of retirement two years later to play another 7 years!! That will always be simply amazing. Anyway Im guessing the answer is he was not too young at all.

Gordie Howe
Howe played until he was 52 years old -- and in his last season, he played in every one of the New England Whalers' 80 games. By then, he was 11 years past his peak -- Howe had his best season when he was 41, in 1968-69, when he racked up 103 points on 44 goals and 59 assists for the Red Wings.

But he wasn't far past his peak. In his first season with the World Hockey Association's Houston Aeros, he won the league MVP award -- at the age of 45. He led the Aeros to two WHA titles. In 1977-78, the season during which Mr. Hockey turned 50, he scored 34 goals and added 62 assists during the regular season for the Whalers, then added another five goals and 10 assists in 14 playoff games.

Howe played 33 seasons, beginning his career in 1947 and not retiring until 1980. One of the all-time greats before he tired of a brief stint in the Red Wings' front office and returned to the ice, Howe took a chance when he unretired. "If I failed badly," Howe said, "people would remember me more for trying to make a stupid comeback at 45 than for all the other things I did in hockey."

He didn't fail.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-12-2003, 03:07 AM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
I was hardley even alive while you were die harding for hockey.

Many new, players draughted (drafted, droughted...brought over...?) onto the Leafs now! Yay!
My god you are 12 years old!

I was never for or against the Leafs, but being from Western NY, I got a lot of hockey night in Canada with the Leafs on Sat. night.

I recall when the Leafs were so bad they were called the Maple Laughs. I do miss Harold Ballard.

Quote:
Was your choice of words there intentional, because I find that very funny. Oh well

The pun was unintentional.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #19
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I don't get the Doug Gilmour business-though I must admit 1992-93 was a fun time-ah to be 9 and watching hockey again...

But Don Cherry, he'll be out of his mind!
Old 03-12-2003, 01:31 PM   #20
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Gordie Howe
Howe played until he was 52 years old -- and in his last season, he played in every one of the New England Whalers' 80 games. By then, he was 11 years past his peak -- Howe had his best season when he was 41, in 1968-69, when he racked up 103 points on 44 goals and 59 assists for the Red Wings.

But he wasn't far past his peak. In his first season with the World Hockey Association's Houston Aeros, he won the league MVP award -- at the age of 45. He led the Aeros to two WHA titles. In 1977-78, the season during which Mr. Hockey turned 50, he scored 34 goals and added 62 assists during the regular season for the Whalers, then added another five goals and 10 assists in 14 playoff games.
Truly an amazing indiviual in all of sports history let alone hockey. Another thing about him thats amazing is that when he came out of retirement he actually played on the same team with his two sons and the three of them were the top three scorers on their team! Hard to get my brain around that one. I mean imagine being a pro athleate and your DAD is on the same team as you. And doing just as well!

Quote:
Howe played 33 seasons, beginning his career in 1947 and not retiring until 1980.
And dont forget he actually took the ice again officially in 1997 briefly making him the only player ever to have played in 6 decades. SIX DECADES! Think about that. thats SIXTY YEARS.

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 03-12-2003 at 01:33 PM.