Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Arwen in RotK

I'm surprised no one has opened a thread to speculate about this yet. This thread might have some spoilers.

What implications do Arwen's actions in The Two Towers have on her role in the Return of the King?

Right now, it looks as though she going to leave Middle-earth with many of her kin. Obviously she can't do that, she has to marry Aragorn.

What do you think she will do?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:31 PM   #2
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

She is bringing Aragorn "The Flame of the West", Andúril and I also gather she will be bringing him what she made for him so he can go through the Paths of the Dead...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:49 PM   #3
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I agree with Dúnedain, when we see Arwen leaving Rivendell in TTT, I believe she is taking Andúril to him. I wonder where Arwen will meet Aragorn. The last scene we see in TTT is Aragorn, Gandalf, ect. riding from Helm's Deep. Maybe she will meet them in the wild somewhere.
If Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas take the paths of the dead, where will Arwen be and what will she be doing? I'm getting worried thinking about that....
Old 02-13-2003, 05:56 AM   #4
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

It will take her some time to get from Rivendell to Gondor or Rohan so she might come a little later.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
Millane
The Dude

hmm by my powers of foresite i am prepared to say she will be as physically attractive as always
yeah i thought that that was the house of elrond off to say g'day to aragorn but they made it seem like they were going to Valinor how very tricksy of PJ... ohh ill have to go and see if i can see a Elrohir/Elladan elf there
Old 02-13-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I thought PJ won't have Arwens brothers in the movies because to many characters would confuse the non-reader movie-goers.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:21 AM   #7
Millane
The Dude

yes thats what i heard too, thats why i must find some Elladan/Elrohir elves... or at least some substitutes so i can just pretend they are in it
Old 02-13-2003, 08:33 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't want Arwen to have too many extra scenes.

Deliver the sword. Leave. Marry Aragorn. End.

Actually I think RotK Arwen will be extremely cool. In her brief appearances, she will demonstrate the queenliness and wisdom that Arwen possessed in the book.

My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 02-13-2003, 08:57 PM   #9
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

If the paths of the dead is still in (why isn't it path of the dead?) someone must deliver the prophesy as well. I doubt they will include the grey company since it would be too many extra characters (so they say). I guess she could bring the banner as well. Then she will mud wrestle Eowyn... oh wait, this isn't the fanman thread
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:38 PM   #10
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I predict ROTK will open with a flashback of the sword that was broken being reforged and then we'll see Arwen leave Rivendell again but this time the audience will know that she carries the sword with her and is heading to Gondor (thus the sad/angry look on Elrond's face when she looks up at him when leaving.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #11
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
what if she goes with Aragorn in the Paths of the Dead???? And she just takes the place of her brothers???
Old 02-13-2003, 10:57 PM   #12
Cirdan

Well, she is an elf, so she shouldn't be afraid of the ghosts.... I guess.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 02-13-2003, 11:04 PM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Firekitten2006
what if she goes with Aragorn in the Paths of the Dead???? And she just takes the place of her brothers???
That would be horrible if that happens.

I actually read over on theonering.net that Legolas will be taking the place of Elladan/Elrohir on the Paths of the Dead, so I don't think we need to worry about that, but I will cross my fingers just in case!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:23 PM   #14
Cirdan

So who would take Legolas' place?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 02-14-2003, 04:07 AM   #15
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I don't want Arwen to have too many extra scenes.
Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

She would have been nice to have in if Liv Tyler hadn't been such a lousy actress.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:22 PM   #16
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
I actually read over on theonering.net that Legolas will be taking the place of Elladan/Elrohir on the Paths of the Dead, so I don't think we need to worry about that, but I will cross my fingers just in case!
What was the part of Elladan/Elrohir in RotK?
Old 02-14-2003, 03:31 PM   #17
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Firekitten2006
I hope not! Gah!

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I predict ROTK will open with a flashback of the sword that was broken being reforged and then we'll see Arwen leave Rivendell again but this time the audience will know that she carries the sword with her and is heading to Gondor (thus the sad/angry look on Elrond's face when she looks up at him when leaving.
I hope so! That would be so cool.
Quote:
Old 02-14-2003, 05:40 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Well, I expect we all know what I think.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 05:46 PM   #19
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Arwen Undomiel

As this is your first post in this thread, I don't know. I just can't read between the lines...
Quote:
Old 02-14-2003, 06:48 PM   #20
Aranwe
Enting

Quote:
actually read over on theonering.net that Legolas will be taking the place of Elladan/Elrohir on the Paths of the Dead, so I don't think we need to worry about that, but I will cross my fingers just in case!
Legolas (and Gimli) go with Aragorn anyway... it's in the book
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote