Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2002, 08:54 PM   #1
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Favorite Lines You Won't (didn't) Hear

Post your favorite quotes or narrative that is likely to be cut or will be missing from The Two Towers for reasoms of pace or brevity.

Quote:
'I wonder', said Frodo. 'But I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale. Take any one that your fond of. You may know, or guess, what kind of tale it is, happy-ending or sad-ending, but the people in it don't know. And you dont want them to.'
'No sir, of course not. Beren now, he never thought he was going to get that Simaril from the Iron Crown in Thangorodrim, and yet he did, and that was a worse place and a blacker danger than ours. But that's a long tale, of course, and goes on past the happiness and into grief and beyond it - and the Silmaril went on and came to Earendil. And why, sir, I never thought of that before! We've got - you've got some of the light of it in that star-glass that the Lady gave you!. Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?
I like this bit (sorry it's so long) because it shows Tolkien's telescoping out of on story to another, all while developing the characters. It gives us a bit of Tolkien's own voice as well. The idea about stories that go on forever is most certainly a personal trait.

Note to Admins: I wasn't sure this fit well in either the movie or book category, so...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:22 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

Oh, I love that bit!

I think they'll probably leave out Treebeard reciting his "list," a part I really liked. Room tum, room tum, roomty toom tum.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 12:02 AM   #3
Cirdan

Hey azalea, your a mod! Cograts!

Many they will put in the little bit at the parting after where treebeard says the hobbits have been added. *feigns optimism*

I just noticed you're from FL. I was born in daytona beach.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 12-13-2002, 12:09 AM   #4
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

this is a bit off topic and jumping a little far ahead, but they better have sams bit about nine fingered frodo and the ring of doom in ROTK

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 12:12 AM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

Thanks; yes I hope there's a lot left in, and considering that it's over three hours, they have little excuse, especially since the Departure of Boromir already happened, and Shelob is not till the next one; I just moved here last month from NC, and I love it so far!

Oops, sorry, I was replying to Cirdan!

Last edited by azalea : 12-13-2002 at 12:14 AM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 12:24 AM   #6
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

There is still hope that they'll keep one of my favorite lines from TTT. It's where Theoden is talking to Aragorn at Helm's Deep before the final charge:

"Will you ride with me then, son of Arathorn? Maybe we shall cleave a road, or make such an end as will be worth a song -- if any be left to sing of us hereafter."

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 12:38 AM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ooooh! That sounds good!
Old 12-13-2002, 12:38 AM   #8
Cirdan

Khamul, I hope the quote from your sig is still in; a quiter moment though, so it may be at risk. The thirty minutes of helm's deep will leave opportunity for Theoden's line. It's got drama in it.

I wonder how much of gollum's babble the screen can hold? The Bilbo's fish riddle would be good, though.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 12-13-2002, 12:44 AM   #9
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

*smacks forehead*

How could I forget about the one in my sig?! It's one of my favorite lines concerning that Fool of a Took.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 02:14 AM   #10
Cirdan

Well, technically you didn't since it appears in the thread.

"Don't you damage my pans or I'll carve you into mincemeat"

Sam to Gollum

does anyone still eat mincemeat?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 12-13-2002 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:52 AM   #11
Sween
im quite stupid

Frodo to anyone: please take the ring i dont want it im weak opps ive just fallen over
Old 12-13-2002, 06:08 AM   #12
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
does anyone still eat mincemeat?
'fraid so. What do you make your Bolognese out of? Mind you, minced Gollum would be pretty dodgy fare.

Saruman: "What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where the brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll on the floor among the dogs?"
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 01:02 PM   #13
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Great quote, Dunadan!

One of my favorite passages is the one where Gandalf confronts Saruman at Orthanc. I love the way Tolkien describes the seductiveness of Saruman's voice, its effect on those listening and then contrasts it with the harsh sounding Theoden and Gandalf.

I can't wait to see TTT, but I'm also terrified...it's by far my favorite volume, and I know there will be many passages altered or omitted ... Still, if PJ can get the 'spirit' of the thing right, that is still an accomplishment.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:05 PM   #14
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I like Treebeard's list

And Sam's poem about the Oliphants (did I spell that right?)

oooohhhhh btw I saw the Oliphants on a trailer the other day! Really cool and exactly how I imagined them! (i know that most people are going to say that, but they were!)
Old 12-13-2002, 04:03 PM   #15
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

'Learn now the lore of the living creatures!
First name the four, the free people:
Eldest of all, the elf-children;
Dwarf the delver, dark are his houses;
Ent the earthborn, old as mountains;
Man the mortal, master of horses:

hm,hm,hm...

why not make a new line? said Pippin

Half-grown hobbits, the hole-dwellers'

I LOVE this song, and I bet PJ'll leave it out

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 04:38 PM   #16
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i hope everyone of the lines from TTT is in the movie.

but i may be just a little too optimistic
Old 12-13-2002, 05:24 PM   #17
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I love Treebeards list!
Its in my sig!!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:12 PM   #18
englishnerd
Hobbit

Cirdan: the quote you submitted first-post is the one that absolutely cannot be left out, and still have some semblance of Tolkien's idea. I dread them leaving it out.

I love the interaction between Gimli and Legolas as they develop their friendship...I got a bit more of that vibe in the extended version, and I hope they include the "notches in the axe" bit in TTT.

Also, Treebeard's quote about the names of things; makes you realize how much more of a person or thing there is than that which is represented by the name. How hasty we really are when we quickly gloss over the name of something...like really, calling Cirdan 'Cirdan' tells me a bit about the personality, but not all. The name of someone doesn't even scratch the surface or personality...how much of a surface words are.

"Have you ever tried to get up with a sprained dignity?"---Mrs. Who from A Wrinkle in Time
englishnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 02:10 PM   #19
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

Lets see how about . . . Anything from the Scouring of the Shire!!! oh well. . .
Old 12-14-2002, 03:00 PM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

"By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the ring nor me!"