Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-23-2002, 09:28 PM   #1
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

What's Dune?

Well, the title pretty much asks the question. I mean I saw the movie dune...is that what your talkin' about? *feels like an oblivious, out of date...person*

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 11:29 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The film was based on a novel by Frank Herbert that spawned a lot of sequels. And I mean a lot.

Not that I've read them.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:26 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The sequels are well worth reading once you get past messiah, IP.

Dune is the best thing ever, and you're a heathen for never having heard of it, Aeryn.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:47 PM   #4
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I am also a Dune virgin. Could someone give a brief outline of the plot, please?
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:08 PM   #5
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Yeah, a plot for the VIRGINS!....wait....that didn't sound right!
I meant the DUNE VIRGINS!

Old 10-25-2002, 04:27 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

This Hugo and Nebula Award winner tells the sweeping tale of a desert planet called Arrakis, the focus of an intricate power struggle in a byzantine interstellar empire. Arrakis is the sole source of Melange, the "spice of spices." Melange is necessary for interstellar travel and grants psychic powers and longevity, so whoever controls it wields great influence.

The troubles begin when stewardship of Arrakis is transferred by the Emperor from the Harkonnen Noble House to House Atreides. The Harkonnens don't want to give up their privilege, though, and through sabotage and treachery they cast young Duke Paul Atreides out into the planet's harsh environment to die. There he falls in with the Fremen, a tribe of desert dwellers who become the basis of the army with which he will reclaim what's rightfully his. Paul Atreides, though, is far more than just a usurped duke. He might be the end product of a very long-term genetic experiment designed to breed a super human; he might be a messiah. His struggle is at the center of a nexus of powerful people and events, and the repercussions will be felt throughout the Imperium.

Dune is one of the most famous science fiction novels ever written, and deservedly so. The setting is elaborate and ornate, the plot labyrinthine, the adventures exciting. Five sequels follow. --Brooks Peck
Old 11-06-2002, 10:29 PM   #7
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

You didn't know about Dune? that is like saying "Who is Tolstoy?". sorry, that really didn't make very much sense.... Dune is a really good book once you get passed the first 100 pages or so.

Aeryn- Empty your mailbox!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune

Last edited by Ms. Undomial : 11-06-2002 at 10:42 PM.
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 10:33 PM   #8
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

says you!

Old 11-06-2002, 11:30 PM   #9
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Dune sounds good, BoP. I have heard of it, but never read it. I am a big sci-fi fan and love AC Clarke and Asimov, but for some reason have never read dune. I will put it on the growing list of books I must read.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:14 AM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I can not recommend it high enough Cass. My BF finished last night - after months of nagging - and he now wants to read all the sequels; this from a purely non-fiction reader!!
Old 11-09-2002, 07:26 PM   #11
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
THe series is really deep, it makes you think. I saw the movie too, the version I saw was really good, if really long (3 two hour tapes!)
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:55 AM   #12
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
now wants to read all the sequels
Ah now THEY should dampen his enthusiasm!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:03 AM   #13
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
*bursts into tears at the thought of someone not even KNOWING what Dune is*

Just kidding. I save THAT for LotR and Tolkien.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #14
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Undomial
You didn't know about Dune? that is like saying "Who is Tolstoy?". sorry, that really didn't make very much sense.... Dune is a really good book once you get passed the first 100 pages or so.

Aeryn- Empty your mailbox!
I sure agree with that. Almost stopped reading it after the first 30 pages, but luckily, I had a few unanswered questions so I kept reading.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:47 PM   #15
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

Dune is really worth reading. as you can probably gather from this thread, most people who read it add it to their favourites list. i haven't had a problem with the sequels i've read, although i've only read Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. eventually i'll get around to the next three, although i don't think i'll read the prequels written by Brian Herbert, nor the new trilogy currently being written.

i've seen both versions of the Dune movies, although I haven't seen Children of Dune yet. anyone seen it yet? is it good?
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:17 PM   #16
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Well, now I'm quite intersted anyway. I finally got to Muad'Dib, too.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:33 PM   #17
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I've just started this book, and I think it's great so far. I'm only 51 pages into it, so I can't really judge, but it does seem a bit too politicky to me. I really like Paul, he's such a neat, intelligent, and hard-working person. Arrakis also sounds exciting, and the Harkonnens are wonderful bad guys.

According to the front page of my copy of Dune, the sequels to Dune are:
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune

(My copy was only 65 cents at a Salvation Army thrift store! It's a bit beat up, but still - why let such a book go for such a small amount?)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:21 AM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Woohoo! New converts.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:25 AM   #19
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That's right! It's not hard to convert me to reading a new sci-fi book though, especially one so acclaimed as Dune.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 12:11 PM   #20
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i enjoyed the dune series a lot... it does tend to be somewhat heavy-handed at times though... more in a philosophical than tech-sci/fi way

if you enjoy the first 100 pages or so, you'll love the series